To work with the Campaigns and Communications team to deliver our agreed strategy, working to demonstrate the organisation’s expertise and impact, communicate the importance of fair trial rights and meet the needs of Fair Trials’ stakeholders and beneficiaries.
To work with the Campaigns and Networks Director to coordinate the Legal Experts Advisory Panel, and to work with the broader Brussels Team to effectively communicate our campaigns work.
Driving Fair Trials' European campaigns, including on pre-trial detention, the European Arrest Warrant and others.
Together with the Campaigns and Networks Director, coordinate the Charity’s public campaigns to grow a more engaged pool of supporters, including (as appropriate) by:
- Devising campaigns strategies for each of Fair Trials' key areas of work in Europe, map relevant stakeholders and audiences, deliver on the campaigns and report on their progress;
- Developing and implementing a strategy for reaching and engaging existing and new supporters;
- Producing and disseminating engaging campaign materials such as newsletters, campaign publications, email updates, blogs and by organising and speaking at campaign events;
- Working with the Campaigns and Networks Director and the Legal and Policy team to help deliver Human Stories: Identifying and involving people with direct personal experience of relevant issues to ensure that their voices are heard, as well as providing appropriate levels of support and advice;
- Initiating and developing relationships with partner organisations and existing networks to improve effective collaboration on campaigns.
Working with the Campaigns and Networks Director to lead on the coordination of the Legal Experts Advisory Panel (a network of over 150 criminal justice and human rights experts from across Europe), inspiring an active, strategic contribution from the network to support the achievement of Fair Trials’ goals.
Work will include coordinating surveys, drafting and sending newsletters and helping to manage regular calls with LEAP Advisory Board members to ensure an appropriate two-way information flow.
Working with the Campaigns and Networks Director, and the Legal and Policy team to coordinate LEAP work on local initiatives related to the right to a fair trial through press work, participation in local events and any other relevant activity.
To assist with the coordination of participation in other Networks where necessary, including the Civic Solidarity Platform, and the Human Rights and Democracy Network.
Working with the Campaigns and Networks Director to assist with Fair Trials’ media work to further the core communications strategy and individual campaign aims:
- Keeping abreast of relevant emerging stories and harnessing the news agenda;
- Actively selling Fair Trials stories and expert comment to the media;
- Monitoring target press outlets and building relationships with key European contacts;
- Drafting and distributing press releases, media comments, features and letters;
- Managing press enquiries and taking primary responsibility for the out of hours press phone;
- Setting up media interviews;
- Building a network of press contacts in Europe and stewarding relationships with journalists.
Working with the Campaigns and Networks Director to help deliver a range of publications, including taking the lead responsibility for compiling the Justice in Europe Annual Report and other LEAP campaigns documents.
Drafting content for publications related to European campaigns, including engaging reports and articles for Fair Trials' website/managing the editorial calendar for the European campaigns.
Work with the broader Campaigns and Communications team to help ensure an effective and realistic core communications strategy which contributes to the delivery of the charity’s strategic aims and monitoring and reporting on communications and campaigns activities.
Assist, where necessary, the Communications Officer to ensure the delivery of Fair Trials’ core communications strategy, including by:
- Helping to maintain the Fair Trials brand, developing and ensuring consistent application of the charity’s visual identity and that of its subsidiary brands;
- Developing and applying consistent and compelling core messages about the charity’s vision, mission, work and impact;
- Helping to manage the maintenance and development of all core communications platforms (website, newsletter, core publications and social media) ensuring they convey the charity’s core messages, enhance its reputation and meet the needs of stakeholders and beneficiaries;
- Producing and coordinating the production of content for website, newsletter and core publications, ensuring content is accurate, up to date, timely, relevant and engaging;
- Increasing the charity’s visibility and following by increasing traffic to the website, developing its social media profile, ensuring effective dissemination of core reports and encouraging key stakeholders to subscribe to regular updates;
- To expand, in particular, Fair Trials’ communication of the human impact of its work through the use of photographs, personal testimony and video.
- Educated to at least degree level;
- Fluency in English;
- Excellent persuasive communication skills – verbal and written;
- Experience in strategic communications, including the development of communication campaigns;
- Confident in building and maintaining effective relationships with people across, and outside, the organisation;
- Skills and experience of organising press interviews and press briefings and building relationships with journalists;
- A sound understanding of media work, online and social media and stakeholder communications;
- A clear understanding of human rights and/or criminal law and sympathetic to the goals of Fair Trials;
- A quick learner used to working well under pressure;
- Excellent time management;
- High degree of attention to detail;
- A team-player and a willingness to be flexible according to the current demands of the organisation;
- Creative and proactive.
- Knowledge of another European language would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of website content and social media accounts;
- Experience working in a transnational network at European or global level.
To apply for this role, please send a CV and cover letter by 5pm CET, 17th January 2019.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org