Hala Systems Inc.
Hala is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world’s toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
We are a team of 28 working together around the world to solve difficult problems. Founded by a rocket scientist, an ex-diplomat, and an expert in using technology for good, we hail from leading educational, research, and business institutions (including Stanford, MIT, Wharton, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LBS, MIT-Lincoln Laboratory, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab, Deloitte, Booz, and the World Bank) and are united by a mission to create a sustainable business that provides massive social impact.
Hala is seeking a Bookkeeper/Accountant dedicated to financial management and accounting. This position goes far beyond maintaining spreadsheets. It’s about budgeting and forecasting, maintaining compliance with our policies and our donors’ regulations, financial analysis, and project billing and receivables. This role reports to the Finance & Grants Manager and is a full time position with some limited travel. Remote work is an option as well. The start date is ASAP, in Western Europe.
The engagement will be discussed in greater detail with top candidates during interviews.
- Document all financial transactions in QuickBooks and other financial management systems.
- Maintain and balance general and subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting and reconciling entries.
- Maintain and balance general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries, preparing a trial balance, and reconciling entries.
- Manage historical records by filing documents on company filing systems, as applicable.
- Update and ensure organization of financial files, contracting and payroll files of local employees, monthly financial reports, quarterly reports, invoices and ad hoc reports.
- Support preparation of managerial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by keeping up to date with regulations and correspondence provided by relevant governments entities; filing reports; advising management on needed actions, as applicable. Prior experience with European tax requirements is a plus.
- Assist Finance & Grants Manager in financial management of Hala grant contracts, ensuring strict adherence to Hala policies and procedures and donor rules and regulations; includes ensuring that incurred costs are allowable and reasonable.
- Provide administrative support for a well-functioning accounting team in maintaining accounting files (receipts, disbursements and non-payments documents) in accordance with Hala system policies and filing standards.
- Assist in facilitation of accounting cycle to include preparation of appropriate supporting documentation of journal entries, payment requests, and bank reconciliations.
- Assist the Finance & Grants Manager to facilitate proper authorization and approval and timely processing of payment/reimbursement requests for employees/suppliers/vendors.
- Perform internal audits of fixed assets and petty cash records; maintain Fixed Assets inventory, in accordance to Hala system policies and donor requirements.
- Prepare submission of all tax withholdings (payroll income tax, Social Security contributions) and corresponding reports (VAT reports) to relevant parties, with guidance from Hala’s external tax and regulatory support, as needed.
- Facilitate the gathering of payroll supporting documents prior to payroll preparation. Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- A university degree and a certification in Accounting or Financial Management required, Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance is preferred.
- 3-5 years of bookkeeping, financial management, or accounting experience.
- Prior experience with USAID or other donor-funded projects is preferred.
- Experience with Accounting Software packages, particularly QuickBooks.
- Excellent working capabilities with in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- General Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
- An eye for detail and accuracy.
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Fluency in English.
- Team player with rock-solid ability to work with diverse team members across multiple time zones.
- Ability to strategize effectively to meet deadlines and competing obligations.
- Excellent organization skills and self-direction.
- Values-driven, trustworthy, honest, and a passion for helping people in need.
- A good sense of humor, patience, and strong spirit.
How to Apply
- Please send your cover letter and CV to [email protected]
- Please include the text “[Bookkeeper/Accountant]” in the subject of the email
- Interviews and requests for references will follow