The Country Director (CD) serves as FH’s chief representative in Mozambique. The CD provides leadership to and manages all FH programs and staff in FH Mozambique. Within the framework of the FH Heartbeat, the CD develops and is responsible for delivering on plans that contribute to the achievement of the Strategic Plan goals, summarized by the graduation of communities, moving people out of poverty, and increasing relief capacity.
*Please note: this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Key Result #1 – Oversee and manage high quality programs and provide timely and accurate status and financial reporting (40%).
- Manage, oversee, and is ultimately responsible for the financial and administrative activity of all FH Mozambique programs, and provide reports in accordance with FH procedures and standards;
- Ensure close collaboration between business units through regular planning and performance meetings and reporting, especially focused on the link between program performance and the financial situation of the organization;
- Identify and secure the appropriate resources (personnel, funds, and materials) needed to accomplish the field strategy through field contacts, National Organizations, and other donor contacts;
- Lead field staff in the development and implementation of overall field and specific program strategies to achieve FH vision and mission, lead staff in the monitoring and evaluation of programs, and provide timely communication and reporting of the same. Ensure FH Mozambique programs are integrated and are in compliance with CFCT (Child Focused Community Development) program standards;
- Give careful attention to all legal requirements affecting FH in the country, and promptly notify FH Enabling Services of any problem or change affecting FH operations;
- Works with regional office and headquarters to manage the development and implementation of annual country budgets;
- Ensures that all program activities are delivered in a cost effective, efficient manner that is in compliance with organizational standards and policies of management and accountability;
- Holds overall accountability on staff security and health and is responsible for ensuring Mozambique program is in compliance with FH Security Standards, Policies and Protocols.
Key Result #2 – Staff management and development (20%).
- Models leadership to all staff and intentionally develops the leadership potential of key staff in the FH field by walking closely with the senior leadership team, coaching and mentoring key direct reports;
- Works closely with the Senior Leadership Team to build their capacity and teamwork;
- Ensures the proper recruitment, orientation, training, development, and care of all FH Mozambique staff;
- Ensures appropriate duty of care provisions are in place for all staff and visitors, with particular attention paid to security concerns;
- Provide leadership and people management expertise in managing change initiatives within country, bridging different ways of working and diverse working cultures within the teams;
- Demonstrates, motivates, monitors and evaluates an understanding of and commitment to FH’s Vision and Mission;
- Keep abreast of environmental, economic, social, political, and religious conditions in the field, and report on such conditions as needed;
- Responsible for the safety and security of all staff and FH representatives in country;
- Responsible for security management: Ensure that systems, policies, and procedures are properly developed and implemented in order to strengthen safety and security of all staff and FH resources;
- Responsible for incident response and follow-up. Works directly with Global Security to manage all critical incidents.
Key Result #3 – Strategy and Resource Development (40%).
- Ensures that the country strategy is in close alignment with the regional strategy and is contributing significantly to the global targets set out in strategic plan 2020. The Country Director is also responsible to ensure that resources are raised to achieve the strategy (both FH national office funding, private funding and public funding) in coordination with the regional office and global technical and resource development teams;
- Identifies, establishes and maintains relationships with Key Field Partners related directly or indirectly to overall Field and specific program strategies in order to achieve the FH Vision and Purpose, specifically donor organizations and implementing partners;
- Identifies, establishes and maintains relationships with Regional Leadership, National Organizations, and the Global Leadership Team who become part of the overall Field and specific program strategies;
- Monitor progress of the program strategy and in close collaboration with the senior leadership and managers; build on lessons learned during the continued strategy delivery;
- Influence small, medium and high profile external relationships in country and or globally to recognize the importance of supporting FH work in Mozambique;
- Lead on development of new projects and initiatives to maximize positive contribution to the organizational and Thematic Programmes level Theory of Change (CFCT);
- Ensure the dissemination of findings from projects that are of importance to decision-makers in a position to fund existing and or new projects.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty/function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ and Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in The Heartbeat: our Values, Vision, and Purpose;
- Excellent people skills including warmth and sensitivity, conversational, able to relate to and effectively communicate with people from different cultures (at various levels within the organization);
- High integrity and a strong sense of professional ethics;
- Able to self-manage a diverse and dynamic set of responsibilities, proactively solve problems and/or suggest viable solutions while advancing goals and objectives;
- Demonstrated computer operating skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office products, Google platform, and virtual technologies such as Skype, GoToMeeting, Zoom;
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to plan and coordinate work, ensure the efficient flow of projects and processes;
- Strong people management skills/interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate, teach and mentor staff;
- Comfortable and persuasive when speaking before both large and small groups;
- Ability to interact positively with all levels of the organization and across organizational and cultural boundaries;
- Experience in proposal development with a proven ability to secure funding from different donors;
- Skills in human resources management, budgetary control/financial management, systems and internal control including policy development and enforcement;
- Leadership and project management skills with ability to plan, lead and follow through on complex projects and relationships;
- Ability to negotiate with national and international governments and non-governmental organizations, community groups and organizations in a culturally acceptable as well as professional manner;
- Experience in Mozambique or in the Africa region;
- Knowledge of general budgeting procedures;
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts in strategic business circumstances;
- Medical fitness to live and travel in rural and urban areas with extreme conditions and limited medical support;
- Ability to travel up to 40% of time per year to project sites and internationally, to insecure countries or locations.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Business Administration related to international relief and development preferred; Must have at least 5 years overseas management experience in senior positions managing complex and multi-sector programs; Strong expertise and experience in managing complex, virtual, intercultural teams; Significant focus on experiential; Previous Mozambique experience is highly desirable; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Directly supervises staff. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, resolving problems, etc.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English and Portuguese. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org