The Near East Foundation (NEF) is seeking candidates for the Iraq Program Director position based in its Baghdadoffice. For over 100 years, NEF has worked to build more sustainable, prosperous, and inclusive communities in the Middle East and Africa through education, governance, and economic development initiatives. Working through a network of country offices and local partners, NEF currently operates in nine countries: Armenia, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Mali, Morocco, Palestine, Senegal, Syria and Sudan. Its programs are organized around three themes: Inclusive Economic Development, Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resource Management, and Peacebuilding.
The Program Director in Iraq is a member of the Near East Foundation senior team and reports to the Senior Vice President of Global Operations. S/he hold the most senior position in country and has overall responsibility for the effective management and implementation of NEF projects in Iraq.
TheProgram Director is primarily responsible for:
- Country-level program performance (financial, operational and administrative);
- Project(s) management, including overall supervision of project team(s), to ensure that activities are implemented in an effective manner and in accordance with (a) project implementation plans, (b) budgets, (c) donor and host government regulations and (d) NEF policies;
- Leading the drafting of (a) quarterly/annual implementation plans and MEL plans; (b) quarterly and annual reports and (c) monthly updates in coordination with project staff and local partner organizations;
- Leading project(s) changes including realignment of activities, budgets, and extensions when required;
- Recruitment of direct reports and coordination of all hires of non-direct reports in accordance to NEF’s policies and guidelines;
- Ongoing communication with project stakeholders (both internal and external) regarding project progress and challenges;
- Maintaining positive working relationship with relevant government offices on behalf of NEF as well as local and international organizations; the Program Director is NEF’s point of contact with line ministries and funding donors in Iraq;
- Representing NEF in all relevant working groups personally or by delegating technically relevant staff; maintaining a strong engagement with development and other relevant aid communities;
- Assessing the implementation context, assumptions and changes in the operating environment to ensure that project/s focus, strategies and activities remain relevant, and recommend changes when required;
- Ensuring safety and duty of care of staff as well as the security and appropriate use of project and NEF assets;
- Fostering open and transparent communication with Headquarters to ensure consistent information sharing and support;
- Ensuring that country-level programs are in alignment with NEF’s goals and strategic plan;
- Providing strategic leadership and motivational support to the country team/s through orientations, regular supervision, regular team meetings, learning and reflection events and an effective management of assessment plans and accountability goals;
- Other duties as assigned.
The Iraq Program Director is secondarily responsible for:
- Contributing to business development and proposal writing for project expansion, transition and sustainability.
- Contributing to the design, expansion and diversification of NEF’s program in Iraq through effective engagement with donors and relevant actors.
The successful candidate must be a self-directed and self-motivated senior manager with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in development, international relations, management, geography, anthropology, public administration or other relevant fields of study;
- 10 years minimum of relevant work experience with development and/or humanitarian organizations (including a minimum of 4 years at a senior management level in a conflict setting);
- Proven track record in project management, including project planning, implementation and oversight, including managing budgets;
- Current (and working) knowledge of the Iraqi context including knowledge of relevant Ministries, Administrative Units and INGO coordination offices;
- Experience in effective people and team management, including implementation of code of conduct, safeguarding and anti-corruption measures;
- Experience in managing the safety of staff and assets;
- Understanding of the concepts behind, and practical application of humanitarian codes and standards such as SPHERE, People In Aid Code, and Core Humanitarian Standard;
- Fluency in both English and Arabic; excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to pass a comprehensive pre-employment background check.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline;
- Experience working in similar humanitarian and/or development contexts outside of Iraq.
Please apply by visiting our careers page with the following documents:
- Cover letter outlining relevant experience, availability and salary history
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of three references (including one from current, or most recent, employer)
NEF will accept rolling application until position is filled. Review of applications will begin Monday, August 19.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org