Save the Children is a recognized leader in protecting children in emergencies in the U.S. and ensuring children and their families have the resources they need to recover. The Specialist for Data & Knowledge Management will support Save the Children’s US Emergencies team, to monitor US Emergencies response and recovery programs. The Specialist will help define and maintain the US Emergencies data and knowledge management systems including: collecting and quality checking disaster response data; providing training and technical assistance to others to do the same; compiling reports on tight and frequent deadlines; and developing innovative solutions to data collection challenges as they arise. The Specialist must be very strong at managing details and systems, as well as providing training and technical support to others to collect and use data.
What You’ll Be Doing
The Specialist for Data & Knowledge Management will oversee all of US Emergencies data collection systems and training, and will support data analysis and reporting on behalf of the US Emergencies team. Under the supervision of the Director of Operations and Surge, the Specialist will:
Manage and continuously improve systems and data monitoring and analysis
• Establish and manage data monitoring systems and accountability mechanisms, and reporting for US Emergency programs. Ensure that US Emergencies teams utilize effective feedback mechanisms throughout the program cycle. Monitor Hotline number and general US Emergencies Feedback Inbox
• Manage all program data collection. This includes providing technical assistance to field staff, coordinating data submissions, and data checking, cleaning, and analysis.
• Lead design, development, maintenance and monitoring of online learning management systems and training platforms
• Help design, administer and collect surveys that inform program design (e.g., pre and post deployment surveys; program surveys). This may include online/paper survey distribution, copying, and scanning, as well as tracking survey submissions
• Lead data aggregation, analysis and visualization that can inform real-time decision-making
• Manage, train and act as focal point on all US Emergency response and data systems
• Help ensure that all sensitive emergency data is kept confidential and that data collection and management methods meet Child-Safeguarding policies.
• Other duties as assigned
Support MEAL (Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning) of Emergency Programs
• Work closely with MEAL and programs team to refresh and adapt data definitions, assumptions and guidance as needed to ensure accuracy of program monitoring.
• Work with MEAL and programs team to ensure accurate and efficient program data (e.g. surveys, program reports, evaluations) collection, analysis and reporting.
• Become an expert in historical and current data collection points and, in though partnership with MEAL team, make recommendations on updates to data collection tools that maintain data integrity.
• Help develop and implement procedures for checking data accuracy.
Lead Knowledge Management and Continuous Improvement for US Emergencies
• Contribute to the US Emergencies Knowledge Management strategy and best practices ensuring team buy-in and participation
• Responsible for the maintenance of and improvements to internal workspaces, including Response-Hub and US emergencies SharePoint sites.
• Support the development of the US Emergencies electronic training platform(s)
• Manage and train on all information management platforms
• Oversee document libraries and document sharing across the department
• Set up and invite all relevant stakeholders to US Emergency Response After-Action Reviews (AAR). Take notes, consolidate and repackage all lessons learned for further dissemination following the review.
• Ensure steps are taken to embed response lessons learned into future US Emergency Response planning to improve overall programmatic and operational efficiencies.
• Maintain oversight of the US Emergencies Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP) and ensure the plan is consistently being updated to reflect any changes or updates.
• Support the continuous improvement of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). Communicate with SOP focal points to ensure updates are being made. Support the creation of any new SOPs.
Coordinate and Manage U.S. Emergency Reporting
• Help develop and institutionalize dashboards and monitoring tools that can inform decision-making
• Create and manage reporting calendar ensuring all internal and external reporting deliverables are met
• Serve as a data focal point for response and recovery teams ensuring they meet regular reporting deadlines and that their data is accurate.
• Collect and coordinate monthly reporting to Save the Children International
• Compile reports and visualizations as needed to support donor proposals, reports and presentations
Respond and Support US Emergencies
• Deploy to domestic responses and or serve as a backstop.
• Based on our business needs during a response, U.S. Emergencies employees, including the Specialist, Systems and Data, are expected to deploy for 3 to 6 weeks at a time.
• Set up and manage online workspaces for response and recovery teams
Support across the US Emergencies as needed
• High School diploma, plus 3-5 years of related experience
• Intermediate Excel skills including facility with formulas, pivot tables and filtering tools
• Strong data visualization skills: ability to create graphs and tables that clearly communicate findings
• Strong written and verbal communication
• Extreme attention to detail
• Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities
• A strong team player and willing to lean-in
• Excellent project and time management skills
• Excellent relationship management skills, including upward management
• STATA programmer
• PowerBI visualization experience
• Experience with SharePoint
• Experience with online learning management systems
• A Bachelor Degree in a field requiring significant quantitative data analysis coursework
• Understanding of relational data management concepts
• Understanding of program design and evaluation
• Qualitative data collection and analysis experience
• High-level of proficiency in spoken and written Spanish
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org