Our mission is to build a movement of 100MM Global Citizens whose actions will help achieve our vision of a world without extreme poverty by 2030.
Global Citizen is a movement of engaged citizens who are using their collective voice to end extreme poverty by 2030. On our platform, Global Citizens learn about the systemic causes of extreme poverty, take action on those issues, and earn rewards for their actions — as part of a global community committed to lasting change.
So far, more than 22 million actions have been taken by Global Citizens, leading to over $37.9 billion in commitments being made by world leaders, which are set to affect 2.25 billion lives by 2030.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff and serving as an integral member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Global Director of Public Relations will be responsible for the development of Global Citizen’s public relations strategy.
The objective of the role and function is to protect and promote Global Citizen’s brand. This is done through proactive and thoughtful sourcing of news from and for the organization, and building and maintaining a network of journalists and social influencers to which these stories can be picked up. The job requires tight management skills and the ability to nurture a team of outside press officers and agencies.
Other facets of the job include relaying information and news to senior management, crisis management, executive social media footprint, working closely with internal communications, and oversight of the press relations for foreign offices and markets, and communicating the organization’s strategic plan to media.
- Create a global public relations strategy for the brand, which factors in the organization’s campaigns and events in all markets. Successful creation and implementation of the strategy will include, but is not limited to:
- Working closely with the Policy team (utilizing the policy handbook), to create media opportunities for highlighting our issues and campaigns, and leveraging key dates where media attention will be on our issues (World Aids Day, World Polio Day, World Water Day, …)
- Working closely with Editorial, Product, and Business Development teams to identify and develop PR opportunities
- Promote Global Citizen as a thought leader by conceiving, writing, and placing op-eds and articles in leading outlets, including joint pieces with our partners, with the support of the Editor in Chief, Senior Director of Communications
- Promote Global Citizen in the media by sharing results, important commitments, events, partnership announcements, and other news
- Coordinate media communications (interviews, press releases, and media events) relating to Global Citizen with local team members and agencies
- Management of retained public relations agencies & contractors in all markets
- Coordinate staff member participation in public-facing events, such as panels or keynotes
- Counsel on venues for Global Citizen-associated live events (such as after-parties and panels)
- Act as a spokesperson for Global Citizen when appropriate
- Develop a Core Crisis Management communications plan
- Create strategies to raise the thought leadership profile of key personnel, including staff/board members for public speaking
- Assist in media training for Global Citizen executives, senior leadership, and campaign staff
- Oversee the creation of Global Citizen's Annual Report
- Work on ad hoc projects as needed
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Communications, Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations or a closely related field of study and ten (10) years of full-time related experience, of which four (4) years must have been in a managerial/supervisory capacity.
- Or a satisfactory combination of education and experience. Master’s degree in communications, marketing or public relations preferred.
OTHER SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Understanding of the global news landscape and state of humanitarian reporting
- Considerable experience writing for digital channels
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly
- Strong listening skills and ability to anticipate potential problems
- Passionate about global development and engaging audiences with GC’s brand
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and entrepreneurial in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Ability to juggle and respond to competing priorities
- Ability to quickly analyze information and make thoughtful recommendations
- Strong attention to detail
- Team player, proactive, and a “can do" attitude that is supported by an inclusive style that energizes and mobilizes the team
- Maintain a commitment to eradicating extreme poverty by 2030
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org