Reporting to the Director of Sales and Operations the Editor of Columbia International Affairs Online (CIAO) an electronic database and Web site of mostly aggregated think tank, journal and ebook content in the field of international relations. CIAO is a subscriber-based product with a robust advisory board comprised of IR specialists from both the U.S. and abroad. It is jointly managed and maintained by Columbia University Press and the Columbia University Libraries.
The CIAO editor is the key representative for the Press's flagship electronic product, representing the Press at academic and library conferences throughout the world. The Editor manages all aspects of the editorial program for the database, including supervision of assistants. The ideal candidate will maintain and expand a network of academics, librarians and other professionals in the field of IR to identify, target and develop new content for CIAO. He/she will also negotiate licensing agreements with potential contributors to acquire materials to post on CIAO and will work closely with CUP's marketing team to promote CIAO to new audiences. The CIAO editor is responsible for developing new features and content areas for CIAO including the commissioning of new articles. The editor works very closely with the Center for Digital Research & Scholarship, our partner at the Libraries, on day-to-day maintenance issues and also to develop new tools and features for CIAO. In addition, the editor consults the advisory board on all matters pertaining to content development including suggestions for potential new contributors.
Travel to domestic and international conferences approximately 4 times per year is required. The CIAO editor will also convene a meeting of the advisory board at least once a year. Meeting with librarians and other stakeholders as necessary for acquiring new content as well as promoting the press and the database.
- Build and maintain a network of IR professionals comprised of (but not necessarily limited to) librarians and scholars in both the think tank world and academia. This includes maintaining our Board of Advisors, made up of top International Relations scholars from around the world. Engaging with the Board, as well as other researchers and professionals working in Politics and Security Studies. Commissioning and editing original articles for inclusion in CIAO.
- Conduct extensive research to find potential contributors and develop new content and content types for CIAO which may include data, books, published articles, gray literature, video content and other multimedia resources. Traveling to national and international conferences and meeting with potential partners at research institutes and think-tanks, the CIAO editor will investigate and report on the scholarly output of these institutes. The editor will evaluate and report on the suitability of the targeted scholarship for inclusion in CIAO. If the material is deemed appropriate, the editor will pursue and negotiate agreements that allow the Press to add the content to the CIAO database.
- The CIAO editor will research and write a range of articles and reports, including, but not limited to the bi-monthly CIAO Focus and weekly email updates for CIAO users. Supervise, write, or maintain the CIAO Twitter account, as well as other social media projects relevant to the promotion of CIAO to its users. Reviewing all the literature recently made available in CIAO, the editor will research and write reports thematically summarizing the new content. Research and write reports that will draw on a deeper range of CIAO content, linking articles in the archive to individual topics in IR or current affairs. Working with the CIAO sales and marketing team, will participate and advise on appropriate promotional activities for CIAO.
- Oversee all aspects of production work including hiring and supervising the production assistant for CIAO. Monitoring current scholarship related to International Affairs. The position requires a deep understanding of the academic terms and conventions used in IR to build and maintaining a taxonomy of subject headings and search terms used in the tagging of content. The editor will also instruct assistants in the proper coding, tagging and uploading of articles to the database.
- Attend national and international academic and professional conferences to promote CIAO, recruit authors and advisors as well as establish new connections in the field. Assist in the promotion of CIAO to librarians and scholars to increase usage and subscriptions.
- Work closely with CUP's managing editor of digital resources and CUP's marketing director in addition to working with the Libraries' Center for Digital Research & Scholarship on maintenance issues and developing new features for CIAO. The CIAO editor will monitor new developments in information technology to recommend or advise on any changes that would affect user experience.
- Bachelor's degree and/or its equivalent experience required
- 2-4 years' experience required
- Strong writing, editorial and presentation skills
- Ability to work with scholars, publishers, librarians and think tank professionals
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to make significant and lasting contributions to CIAO
- Familiarity with electronic publishing environments
- Knowledge of contracts a plus
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org