The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization with a mission to advance democracy worldwide, as a universal human aspiration and an enabler of sustainable development, through support to the building, strengthening and safeguarding of democratic political institutions and processes at all levels.
We believe that democracy is a universal human aspiration and an experience that is pursued and lived in different ways around the world. Beyond the basic tenets of citizens’ choice and citizens’ political equality, the critical choices are best made and the quality of democracy is best gauged by those directly concerned: the citizens themselves. We systematically nurture an open and pluralistic understanding of democracy. This is respectful of the national context, and is in line with our non-prescriptive and non-intrusive approach, as well as with the priorities set by national actors.
International IDEA produces, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes, constitution building processes, political participation and representation, as well as on democracy as it relates to gender and inclusion, conflict sensitivity and sustainable development.
It has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden, and offices in the Africa and West Asia, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and Europe regions. International IDEA is a Permanent Observer to the United Nations.
In Myanmar, International IDEA has worked in the areas of electoral processes, civic education, constitution-building, and parliamentary support. International IDEA supports inclusive, democratic elections through capacity assistance to the Union Election Commission, political parties, civil society, media and other democratic stakeholders. This is part of the Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy (STEP Democracy) project, funded by the European Union.
The STEP Democracy project currently includes both local and international organizations; International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA), the Danish Institute for Parties and Democracy (DIPD), Democracy Reporting International (DRI), and the Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy (NIMD)/DemoFinland and BadeiDha Moe Civil Society Organization, Scholar Institute, and Paññā Institute. STEP Democracy has a commitment to an open and flexible approach to democratic reform which is mindful of the rich history and cultural diversity of Myanmar and which does not seek to impose solutions.
With a proven track record of programme management within the area of democracy and governance support, the Programme Manager will oversee the execution of programme delivery, ensuring close communication and coordination with the EU delegation. The position also provides direction and ensures cohesion of the project partners on aspects of programming and compliance with EU requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and coordinates the preparation, implementation, quality assurance, and monitoring and reporting of all programme activities as identified in the Description of Action (DoA) and annual workplans, ensuring compliance with EU and International IDEA regulations and coherence of the overall programme;
- Leads the development and delivery of the political economy and conflict sensitivity analysis, baseline-end line survey, Gender Analysis, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Strategy, Communications strategy and relevant policy briefing papers;
- Is accountable for programme finances and grant management, and ensures that financial planning supports the delivery of programme results and demonstrates value for money;
- Manages and provides direction and feedback to project partners on aspects of programming, ensuring EU requirements are met, and ensures effective transfer of skills and capacity building through mentoring and coaching of local counterparts during the programme lifecycle;
- Represents STEP Democracy at relevant coordination meetings and works to ensure adequate representation of STEP Democracy and the implementation of appropriate communication and visibility plans;
- Maintains regular communication with the EU delegation, and provides timely project related progress reports;
- Ensures consistent liaison, consultation and engagement with key programme partners and stakeholders, including national (Union level) and local government, electoral institutions, civil society organizations and international development partners;
- Facilitates the STEP Democracy Steering Committee co-chaired by the EU Delegation and the Union Election Commission (UEC), the Local Focal Points meeting and other management and governance meetings;
- Manages the monitoring, reporting, and evaluation of the programme ensuring strategic and timely communication to the EU and to International IDEA Headquarters;
- Works closely with the Finance and Administrative Manager, and tracks performance linked to disbursement of funds to partners and grantees;
- Works closely with the Senior Programme Manager – Elections, providing guidance on opportunities for synergies and linkages with other partners’ workplans;
- Identifies opportunities for innovative programme design;
- Oversees the programme risk assessment and management, actively manages risks and regularly updates the risk management strategy in line with International IDEA policies and procedures;
- Documents lessons learned, stories, case studies and evidence related to the delivery of programme results, linking to the broader policy engagement communication, publicity and visibility effort both locally and internationally;
- Manages and empowers a team of staff, fostering a spirit of collaboration, support and team cohesion; encourages their professional development, particularly in the areas of monitoring and reporting.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle, i.e. from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, supervises publications and input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on their relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Directly manages a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and possibly consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Myanmar Programme.
- Has in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience on programme management in the field of democracy and governance combined with a good understanding of related disciplines in order to approach activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management;
- Is analytical and a conceptual thinker;
- Familiar with the use of political economy and conflict sensitivity analysis;
- Understands and manages the budget of his/her project(s).
- Manages a diverse team, sets team priorities and manages resources;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Communicates complex ideas clearly and concisely;
- Liaises permanently with all internal and external stakeholders, including electoral institutions, civil society and development partners involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Demonstrates excellent relationship building skills;
- Drives projects and assignments through personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with tact, and build consensus;
- Represents International IDEA effectively in professional circles;
- Excellent knowledge of written and oral English required. Knowledge of Myanmar language would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in law, international relations, political science, development studies, Public Administration, Social Sciences or a related discipline;
- A minimum of eight (8) years of strategic and advisory experience in the field of democracy and governance support in developing country contexts;
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in leading and managing diverse teams;
- Proven experience of programme coordination and management during all stages of the project cycle in developing country contexts, including experience with flexible and adaptive programme delivery is essential;
- Experience working with major development partners, including the EU and other bilateral and multilateral partners is essential;
- Experience managing multi-partner consortiums/projects is desirable;
- Experience working on support to elections in the South-East Asia region, preferably within Myanmar is desirable.
Terms of Contract
- Contract duration: Two (2) year fixed term appointment;
- Competitive salary + benefits.
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 10 January 2020. Please note that all applications must be made in English;
- You may apply directly by pressing the Send Application button.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org