The Ethiopian Community Development Council (ECDC) seeks a dynamic and experienced Community Engagement and Development Officer to play a key role in our Development office. The Officer is responsible for managing the implementation of the department’s fundraising, communications, and community engagement strategies. Reporting to the Director of Development, this position is part of a small, creative team working to ensure that ECDC has the funds and partnerships it needs to successfully support refugees, asylum seekers and immigrants integrate into their new communities across the U.S.
The Community Engagement and Development Officer:
· Supports the design and manages the implementation of a community engagement strategy to build public awareness, engage communities, and gain financial support for ECDC’s programs across diverse stakeholders including individuals, organizations, foundations and the private sector.
· Develops timely, innovative, and effective marketing and communication materials that directly support the success of the community engagement strategy and ECDC’s development fund plan.
· Manages donor and event management tasks and data to successfully implement the development fund and community engagement plans.
· Stays up to date with key policy and advocacy efforts related to ECDC’s programs.
· Produces relevant and timely content to drive the design of community engagement and fundraising material.
· Thinks creatively, uses data to drive decision-making, designs meaningful ways to engage with key stakeholders, and creates high-impact marketing material for outreach and fundraising campaigns.
· Develops and promotes communications opportunities to reach ethnic community-based organizations (ECBOs), refugee and immigrant community members, business leaders, Congressional and government officials, and the general public.
Proposal support – 20%
1. Identifies and researches potential public and private funding resources, including local, state, and federal government agencies and local, national, and international foundations and corporations in order to develop program support, in-kind donations, and non-restrictive financial support for existing and new ECDC programs.
2. Prepares or assists in the preparation of proposals submitted for funding support.
Donor cultivation and strategic partnerships – 30%
3. Manages donor engagement and cultivation, solicitation, and recognition in order to foster positive and enduring relationships that produce reciprocal benefits with corporations, foundations, individuals, government agencies, and faith-based and other nonprofit organizations.
4. Develops/updates mailing lists of individual donors.
5. Prepares thank-you letters for donations and keeps donors informed about ECDC activities on a regular basis.
Community engagement & event coordination – 30%
6. Provides training and technical assistance to ECDC’s ECBO affiliates in developing and implementing their community engagement plans and communication activities to promote their organizations and resettlement services to the community.
7. Creates and updates a community outreach resource and best practices guides for affiliates.
8. Works with the development team and relevant program staff to design and implement a community engagement strategy for ECDC that effectively builds strategic partnerships with diverse stakeholders.
9. Participates in community outreach and stakeholder events, seeking additional partnerships to support resettlement program operations.
10. Manages the marketing, logistics, and data of community engagement and fundraising events, such as annual national conference, Advocacy Day, World Refugee Day, and community forums.
11. Represents ECDC at meetings, training workshops, and conferences as appropriate.
12. Handles other assignments as required.
Communications & Marketing– 20%
13. Works with the Director of Development to design a communication strategy that effectively supports and corresponds to the community engagement and development fund plans.
14. Manages the implementation of the communications plan, including designing marketing material for outreach and fundraising efforts, managing ECDCs social media accounts, and tracking impact with data.
15. Drafts timely press releases, informational videos, and other social media content in response to political and legal changes that impact ECDCs programs.
16. Cultivates media contacts and community representatives, develops a standard press kit, serves as the organization's liaison with various constituents, and updates media and ECBO databases and mailing lists.
17. Communicates with program staff on a regular basis for updates on ECDC’s current resettlement and community integration programs and refugee/immigrant issues in order to communicate on program success stories and highlights and the challenges facing this population and the program.
18. Ensures the ECDC website has up-to-date statistics, program highlights, and action-oriented content for online visitors to engage with.
1. College degree in communications/marketing, business, international affairs, politics or other related field.
2. Proven track record of successful campaign development and building strategic relationships.
3. Experience in public awareness, community outreach, and advocacy initiatives.
4. Demonstrated experience in fundraising and event planning – 2+ years desired.
5. Ability to relate professionally to and collaborate collegially with diverse individuals in a multicultural environment and with local, state, federal, foundation representatives.
6. Strong understanding of the social media landscape, best practices, and analytics tools.
7. High level proficiency with Microsoft Office and social media reporting tools.
8. Experience developing project budgets.
9. Ability to manage multiple assignments and plan work load to meet deadlines on a timely basis, occasionally under limited time constrains.
10. Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Please submit, by mail, fax, or e-mail (1) a cover letter, including salary requirement; (2) a resume; and (3) a short writing sample (2-3 pages) by February 14, 2020 to:
Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc.
901 South Highland Street
Arlington, VA 22204
Fax: (703) 685-3807
E-mail: [email protected]
Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.