Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking the services of an external independent consultant to support its efforts to strengthen its Prevention Of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) systems, procedures and practices and build staff capacity throughout our organization.
Consistent with the organization's vision, mission, and core values (committed, genuine, connected, and purposeful), we seek to operationalize a fully robust policy across our global network and further sustain an organizational working environment that is free of discrimination, harassment, and exploitation, and to ensure the same in our work with communities, local partners and beneficiaries. In 2018, Global Communities signed on to the InterAction CEO Pledge on Preventing Sexual Abuse, Exploitation, and Harassment by and of NGO Staff. The pledge calls on NGOs to commit to strengthening their policies, procedures, accountability, and transparency of all incidents of sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment. We view this current project as critical to supporting our effectiveness as an organization and maintaining our accountability to beneficiaries, donors, and staff. We are committed to robust prevention efforts, offering support to survivors, and holding offenders accountable.
This consultancy is planned for 7-14 days and must be completed over the time period between February and May 2020. Specific deliverables are detailed below.
- Review existing policies and practices to prevent and respond to allegations of SEA and write report.
- Provide support and guidance to Human Resources department regarding policy implementation; conduct a review of existing GC policies, procedures, practices, and complaint mechanisms surrounding PSEA at the Headquarters and Field levels.
- Write a concise report summarizing existing country- and project-level understandings and practices, and identifying gaps affecting and impacting both prevention and effective responses to allegations.
- Create a robust, appropriate and effective organization-wide PSEA policy that will extend GC’s effectiveness in this area and ensure accountability outcomes that satisfy internal requirements and international best practices.
- Outline a set of Standard Operating Procedures addressing key policy implementation areas to support a survivor-focused organization, including on the submission and receipt of complaints, reporting, investigation and victim assistance.
- Draft concrete recommendations on a supporting framework for that policy to ensure ongoing effectiveness in implementation and integration across global operations consistent with international best practices. These recommendations should include an outline of staff responsibilities at all levels, along with a set of training needs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven track record in creating effective organizational policies, systems, and procedures for mitigating and managing the risk of SEA in INGOs operations.
- Strong technical background (in GBV, Safeguarding, gender) to develop recommendations for NGOs to systematically implement PSEA requirements and systems.
- Relevant qualifications and experience in global PSEA risk mitigation including principles, procedures for reporting and complaints handling.
- Possess strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Ability to act with discretion and tact while working with sensitive issues and maintaining client confidentiality.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Accredited university degree in the social sciences, international development, gender studies, or related subject area.
- 7-10 years work experience in development, humanitarian affairs and/or peacekeeping and in-depth understanding of and experience with the INGO sector.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
- For consideration, your application must include the following:
- Cover letter, including commitment to availability for the duration of the assignment.
- Up-to-date CV reflecting all required qualifications and experience.
- Financial proposal to support the work, listing a proposed daily rate and number of days.
- Two samples of PSEA-related work, with references.
Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. EOE/AA - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individual with Disabilities.