The Peace, Security and Humanitarian Section of the Policy, Programme and Intergovernmental Division supports UN Women to fulfill its coordination mandate in the area of peace and security, UN system efforts to promote improved implementation, and monitoring and reporting of global commitments on Women, Peace and Security, including as set out in the Beijing Platform for Action and in Security Council resolutions, relevant Statements by the President of the Security Council, as well as related accountability frameworks established by the UN system. In the area of sustaining peace, UN Women supports Member States and civil society in implementing parallel resolutions of the Security Council and General Assembly (A/RES/70/262 and S/RES/2282 (2016)) on sustaining peace and together with the Peacebuilding Support Office (PBSO) coordinates the implementation of the SG’s Seven-Point Action Plan on Gender-Responsive Peacebuilding. UN Women as well makes efforts towards ensuring that the voices of the WPS experts and activists are informing policy framing on sustaining peace. As a member of the Global Coalition on Youth, Peace and Security, UN Women, UN Women also contributes to mainstreaming gender in the coalitions efforts to advance the YPS agenda at the global, regional and country level.
Under the supervision of the Policy Specialist on Sustaining Peace, the Policy Specialist is responsible for contributing to the development and implementation of the organization’s policies in the area of gender-responsive peacebuilding, youth, peace and security, women’s economic security and gender responsive reintegration to achieve gender equality and advancement of women. The incumbent provides technical, policy and programme support for peacebuilding efforts of UN Women Country Offices
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide Technical Guidance and Support:
- Provide technical support to UN Women Country and Regional Offices on gender-responsive peacebuilding; youth, peace and security;
- Provide capacity building support for peacebuilding priorities and the implementation of the Secretary-General’s Seven Point Action Plan on Gender-Responsive Peacebuilding and other related frameworks, in partnership with the Peacebuilding Support Office (PBSO);
- Identify needs and provide support to high quality policy and programming in peacebuilding contexts, with priority to the projects funded and catalyzed by the Peacebuilding Fund (PBF);
- Participate in, and provide assistance to, inter-agency joint assessments and technical support missions to fragile and conflict affected settings;
- Ensure high-quality, results-oriented reporting on the Seven Point Action plan, contribute with analysis and background to SG’s reports on WPS, Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace, Youth, Peace and Security.
Provide Support in Policy Development:
- Maintain an on-going watching brief of policy developments and major peacebuilding opportunities for women in conflict and post-conflict situations, such as peace talks and national dialogues, constitutional debates, donor conferences, recovery and Un system analysis and planning;
- Provide technical support to UN Women Country Offices as well as UN Missions and select UNCTs in implementing gender-responsive peacebuilding programming and policy work, through regular exchanges, community of practice, commissioned research, networking and exchanges, conferences, training, and other relevant forms of support;
- Provide inputs to public and internal communication of results and good practices of Seven Point Action plan and related results, including preparation of briefs, managing production of knowledge products, participation in appropriate global knowledge events.
Provide support to Partnership Building and Advocacy:
- Participate actively to integrate gender in Global Coalition on YPS and in work of the Interagency Taskforce of your assigned fragile and conflict affected country and keep the country representative and HQ Peace and Security Team updated
- Provide technical contributions to the development of strategic approaches to policy dialogue, resource mobilization, partnerships, and outreach;
- Provide technical support to UN Women’s internal network and partnership with inter alia Country, Regional and Multi-Country Offices, thematic sections, programme division and intergovernmental support division to capture and utilize internal capacity to engage in conflict prevention efforts, as well as sustaining the gains in peacebuilding.
Provide support to development and dissemination of KM products:
- Establish systems for documenting and analyzing the successful practices and lessons learned in the area of gender-responsive peacebuilding, youth, peace and security, women’s economic security, reintegration, including implementation of the Seven Point Action Plan (including contracting consultants for commissioned research);
- Provide technical inputs to the development of policy and knowledge, as appropriate and under the guidance of the Policy Specialist and overall direction of Section Chief;
- Produce knowledge products to meet UN Women needs and standards of quality, as requested;
- Provide technical support to the development and implementation of training of UN Women staff and UN partners in gender-responsive peacebuilding, youth, peace and security, women’s economic security, reintegration as requested.
Provide any other functions as requested by the Supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
UN Women demonstrates global leadership on gender-responsive peacebuilding and women’s leadership and engagement in transitions and improves the responsiveness of the UN’s peacebuilding efforts to engage women and respond to their needs. High quality technical assistance on gender and peacebuilding is made available via knowledge products and hands-on advice to UN Women Country and Regional Offices. The incumbent contributes to the smooth and successful implementation of peacebuilding priority interventions that support the WPS frameworks and policies, with priority on the SG’s Seven Point Action Plan.
- Timely and accurate technical support to country offices and partners;
- Provision of quality policy support and reporting in the area of gender-responsive peacebuilding;
- Relationship with stakeholders is maintained and further strengthened;
- Quality of knowledge products.
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Good knowledge of gender related issues including in peacebuilding, statebuilding, youth, peace and security;
- Ability to undertake policy research and prepare quantitative studies, utilizing statistical methodologies, knowledge of database applications for statistical analysis;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work under time constraints;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client’s perspective;
- Ability to draft policy papers, speeches, briefings, etc.;
- Ability to develop and maintain roster of experts, and a databank of research institutions;
- Strong experience working in fragile and conflict affected contexts supporting gender equality and women empowerment efforts.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in development related disciplines, gender issues, economics, political science, human rights, law or other social science fields, of direct relevance to women peace and security;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years progressively responsible experience in designing and managing programmes and advocating for gender and peacebuilding, policy research and gender analysis, policy and programming;
- Experience in programme, policy analysis, and strategic planning;
- Experience working with, and building partnerships with governments, donors and civil society?organizations internationally and in the field;
- Experience implementing gender-responsive peacebuilding initiatives at the country level is strongly preferred;
- Experience working with the UN is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org