Each year, the Chicago Council on Global Affairs selects a highly competitive cohort of Chicago’s up-and-coming professionals to participate in its Emerging Leaders Program. The program provides a robust expansive platform to deepen their fluency and exposure to global affairs and policy.
Emerging Leaders will be chosen from corporate, non-profit and government sectors to create a class of about 20 participants. Ideal Emerging Leader candidates are highly accomplished in their careers and expected to rise to the top of their fields in the next five to ten years. Between the ages of 30 to 40, they have a strong professional or personal interest in international affairs, a commitment to community engagement, and a thirst for knowledge. The Council will intentionally seek exceptional leaders who reflect the rich diversity of Chicago.
Ideal Emerging Leader Candidates are:
- Between 30-40 years old – Candidates must be 40 or under as of June 30, 2020.
- Interested in global affairs – Candidates should have a strong demonstrated professional or personal interest in global issues, trends, and events.
- Passionate and driven – Candidates are highly accomplished in their careers and expected to rise to the top of their fields in the next 10 years.
- Engaged in the community – Candidates are active in their communities and committed to working on solutions that will positively impact Chicago’s role as a global city.
- Able to participate in key meeting dates and sessions – Emerging Leaders meet on the first Friday (2 to 5 p.m.) and third Wednesday (5 to 8 p.m.) of each month, in addition to other mandatory dates listed above. Emerging Leaders must also participate in a Council program of their choice each month. Awareness of the time commitment by the candidate’s supervisor is mandatory for the program.
- Prepared to deliver – Candidates are expected to complete an end-of-year project that explores a key issue within the Emerging Leaders curriculum. Candidates will complete a short policy memo and a persuasive flash talk, and will receive support from Council staff and experts on design, execution. Completion of a project is required of every participant and will require additional time devoted to it.
- Invested in the Emerging Leaders Program – There is an Emerging Leaders participation fee of $15,000 corporate/private sector participants and a non-profit and public sector rate of $5,000. A reduced participation fee may be available to those individuals who demonstrate a clear financial need and inability to cost share in this way. Emerging Leaders continue their engagement with the Council and maintain active membership after the completion of their program year.
- Unique in their experiences and perspectives – The Emerging Leaders program aims to select a cohort who are diverse not only in their personal and professional backgrounds, but also with the ideological and intellectual perspectives they bring to the program.
Mandatory Meeting Dates:
- EL Class of 2021 Orientation and Welcome Reception: Evening of July 15, 2020
- EL Class of 2021 Retreat: September 11-12, 2020
- Washington, DC Study Mission Briefing: Evening of September 28, 2020
- Washington, DC Study Mission: October 4-6, 2020
- EL Holiday Social: December 4, 2020
- Every third Wednesday of the month, 5-8 p.m., beginning October 21: (2020: 10/21, 11/18; 2021: 1/20, 2/17, 3/17, 4/21, 5/19, 6/16)
- Every first Friday of the month, 2-5 p.m., beginning November 6: (2020: 11/6, 12/4; 2021: 1/8, 2/5, 3/5, 4/2, 5/7, 6/4)
In addition to the required semi-monthly meetings, Emerging Leaders will be expected to attend a minimum of one public program hosted by the Council each month.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org