Rights and Resources Group (RRG) is a non-profit organization that serves as coordinating mechanism for the Rights and Resources Initiative (RRI), a global coalition to advance the forestland and resources rights of Indigenous Peoples, local communities, and the women within these groups. Rights and Resources Group is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, people from indigenous and local communities, women, and LGBTQ persons are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more at www.rightsandresources.org.
Senior Communications Associate
The Senior Communications Associate is responsible for collaborating with RRI’s Regional teams and Strategic Analysis and Global Engagement (SAGE) team to further the advocacy efforts of the RRI Coalition in priority countries and globally. The Senior Communications Associate also oversees ongoing deliverables for the communications program, including eblasts, blogs, and social media. The ideal applicant has experience planning communications engagements from the strategy phase through execution. We are looking for a talented project manager adept at turning visions into concrete communications strategies and tactics, someone who sees the big picture and handles details carefully.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC or Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Applicants for the Washington, DC location should apply to this offer. To apply for the Montreal location, please visit: https://apply.workable.com/rights-and-resources-gr...
Under the supervision of the Manager, Strategic Communications, the Senior Communications Associate will:
1. Manage messaging, production, and dissemination for ongoing deliverables of RRI’s strategic communications program
- Oversee and approve production and dissemination of RRI’s digital products: blog posts, eblasts, social media, and talking points to highlight the research and accomplishments of the RRI Coalition
- Develop systems and strategies to ensure that RRI research and digital products are effectively disseminated to changemakers, RRG staff, and members of the coalition to maximize their use and improve advocacy
- Further develops and updates RRI’s Landtoolkit as a means of disseminating RRI’s data and messaging and providing RRI staff and spokespeople with updated messaging and data for use at events and media engagements
2. Provide strategic communications support for RRI’s programmatic, advocacy, and fundraising work
- Support coordination between RRI’s analysis and communications teams by participating in early strategy discussions and assisting in the preparation/review of content
- Contribute to the creation and execution of outreach strategies to launch, disseminate, and maximize use of RRI research
- Provide strategic support to regional programs to advance key national-level advocacy opportunities(Asia, Africa, Latin America)
- Spearhead efforts to connect data and messages with key decision-makers, and arm advocates with usable data for advocacy efforts
- Spearhead communications strategies in one of RRI’s thematic areas, such as gender justice
3. Serve as one of RRI’s institutional writers, producing and editing content for diverse audiences
- Author and ghostwrite articles, impact stories, opinion pieces, blogs, and materials for media outreach
- Document case studies and impact stories at national and sub-national level to advance country-level strategies and/or share in international fora
- Support fundraising team with production of an organizational annual report and marketing content/collateral
4. Spearhead efforts to share information and build creative partnerships with RRI Coalition members and ally organizations
- Manage a network of communications focal points from across the RRI Coalition, and respond to members’ requests for information
- Represent RRI communications in external coalitions (when needed/appropriate)
- Maintain and drive content partnerships with other RRI Coalition members and external organizations for increased impact
- Support internal information management and sharing, including acting as a liaison with RRI’s Coalition and Strategic Networks team
- Bachelor’s degree or above in a relevant field
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience working in strategic communications, ideally with a focus on land rights, human rights, and/or gender justice
- Expertise in one of RRI’s key regions or thematic areas strongly preferred
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience in digital/social campaigning
- Must be fluent in English; professional fluency in Spanish and/or French is preferred
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to prioritize competing demands and projects in both short and long term
- Excellent communications skills, comfortable liaising with diverse array of consultants, collaborators, and stakeholders from across the globe
- Courteous and professional manner, with respect for other cultures and work in teams
- A passionate interest in social justice, equity, and human rights
Applications will be accepted immediately and interviews conducted on a rolling basis.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org