CRS' IDEA department advances the agency's strategic position by engaging new and existing institutional donors to acquire and steward resources that deliver excellent programs to advance Vision 2030. Teams within the department focus on three main areas: engaging donors, prospects and strategic partners, acquiring new business, and delivering on the outcomes as outlined in the institutional award agreements, in compliance with donor requirements. As Business Development (BD) Manager I, you will lead a team of BD Specialists within the Growth Strategy Support Unit (GSSU). You will ensure high-quality support to CRS Country Programs (CPs), Regions, and donor-focused teams as they pursue strategic funding opportunities with institutional donors to advance CRS' mission to serve the poor and vulnerable worldwide. While this support will primarily be concentrated in the areas of positioning, capture planning, and proposal development, your knowledge and skills will allow you to provide specialized assistance in all dimensions of the CRS Business Development Cycle. In addition to displaying a high level of competency in business development and team leadership, you will also demonstrate an aptitude for strategic thinking, data and trend analysis, process improvement, collaboration and relationship management, and training and capacity building.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Supervise, coach, and deploy GSSU staff to provide direct support to strategic funding opportunities in the areas of positioning, capture planning, proposal coordination, proposal writing, budgeting, and compliance with donor requirements.
- As needed, work with regions, CPs and other colleagues to identify consultants or other sources of support for funding opportunities. Provide direct support to priority bids.
- Participate in go/no-go decisions and proposal review panels. Manage CRS' contracts bid review process, as well as other special bid review processes.
- Guide partner identification, negotiation of consortia roles, and review of teaming agreements.
- Support the cultivation and strengthening of institutional relationships with donors, partner organizations, and other collaborators.
- Participate in industry conferences and working groups to represent CRS with peer organizations.
- Research and analyze intelligence about overall funding trends and new business opportunities; contribute to efforts to leverage this data to enhance CRS' competitive position.
- Maintain accurate business pipeline and performance data through CRS' online systems to inform executive and senior management decisions.
- Collaborate with colleagues to maintain past performance and corporate capacity information.
- Lead initiatives to advance CRS' business development processes, promote learning and sharing of best practices, and build the capacity of CRS staff in business development.
- Actively contribute to CRS' Global Business Development Community of Practice, including playing a leadership role at biennial global BD Summit and growth and strategy meetings of regional BD leaders.
- Support efforts to advance resource mobilization for Vision 2030, CRS' agency strategy.
- Masters Degree in International Development, International Relations, or another relevant field preferred; equivalent experience acceptable.
- Minimum of seven years of international development experience
- Three years' experience in a developing country preferred.
Required Languages - Fluency in English required; working ability in French and/or Spanish highly desirable.
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 25%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with a capacity to both attend to details and see the big picture.
- Demonstrated experience leading and producing competitive proposals in programming contexts similar to CRS.
- Familiarity with relevant institutional donor regulations, policies, procedures and priorities.
- Experience with both USAID RFP and RFA funding mechanisms highly desirable.
- Comprehensive familiarity with a broad range of institutional donor technical and cost requirements a plus. This could include US Government (USG) agencies (USAID, USDOS, USDA, HHS, etc), non USG entities (DFID, Global Fund, EU, UN, etc), and foundations and corporations.
- Strong budgeting skills and experience with leading the development of strategic and competitive cost proposals highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience managing teams and processes to produce deliverables under tight deadlines and of exceptional quality.
- Knowledge of CRS programs, justice agenda and Catholic Social Teaching principles a plus
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required, knowledge of Salesforce, Oracle, Web Conferencing Applications, and other systems a plus.
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org