Supervisor: Head of Finance & IT (with dotted line reporting to EU Representative, Head of Brussels Office)
Desired start date: early September 2020
Post: Full Time
Travel requirements: Occasional travel to Country Offices - estimated travel time 5 - 10%
At CARE we seek a world of hope, inclusion and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty and achieve social justice. In 2019, CARE worked in 100 countries and reached 68 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. The protection and empowerment of women and girls lies at the core of all we do because poverty cannot be overcome until all people have equal rights and opportunities.
CARE International AISBL (CI Belgium) is one of the legal entities housing the CI Secretariat. CI Secretariat coordinates and supports the global CARE confederation to achieve its common impact goals and shared global priorities. CI Secretariat comprises approximately 45 staff, of which 8 positions are based in Belgium, 10 in Switzerland, 10 in the UK, and the balance spread across 12 other countries. CI Belgium has a number of CARE Country Offices registered as its branches. Whilst the day to day accounting and management of these branches is handled by other members of the CARE confederation on behalf of CI Belgium, there is close liaison with colleagues based in the country offices and the branch results are reviewed, consolidated, audited and reported within CI Belgium.
Main Areas of Responsibility but not limited to:
Consolidation and statutory reporting
- Consolidate the results of CARE International AISBL including the County Offices registered as entities of CI AISBL (currently there are 8 branches);
- Prepare twice per year consolidated statutory financial statements and related reporting for filing in Belgium;
- Ensure that tax returns and fee forms are completed and submitted on time.
- Work with external auditors to determine the most effective methods to meet the audit needs;
- Prepare for and support the interim and annual statutory audits;
- Coordinate across CARE to enable the auditors to obtain documentation and explanations needed to give an audit opinion.
Country Offices (COs)
- Implement the documentation and finance processes needed to operationalise the new Country Offices (e.g. banking and approval set up, and account mapping);
- Conduct and oversee occasional internal control review visits to country offices to support newly operationalised Country Offices and/or to test and document processes and gain a deeper understanding of program activities. Follow up on any necessary internal control improvements.
Controlling and management reporting
- Liaise with Head of Office, COs, Lead Members and CI Sec Geneva to produce a budget for the Brussels office and the combined CI Belgium annual budget;
- Document internal control systems applicable to CI Belgium utilising were possible the levels of control and systems in place within COs, LMs and CMPs;
- Develop management reporting which gives visibility on revenue and expenses at CO and project level;
- Produce quarterly management reporting explaining activity and variances to budgets.
Accounting and Reporting System
- Transition the accounting for CI Belgium onto a dedicated accounting system (currently the CI Belgium accounting is maintained on a Swiss system and the consolidation is excel based).
CI Secretariat Brussels Office Business Support services
- Source payroll information and liaise with the outsourced payroll provider and related institutions (e.g. NMBS, Sodexo, etc.) to prepare the monthly payroll and related reporting relating to Belgium based staff;
- Act as the main liaison point for office and staff administration and insurances’ related needs with the services of an external broker;
- Ensure that governance documents are maintained and are filed with relevant Belgian authorities and that this formal documentation is organised and accessible as appropriate within CI (e.g. Supervisory Board and management changes are registered in the Monitor Belge, Powers of Attorney and Letters of Authority are updated;
- Possible project to transition and take responsibility for the transactional accounting, management reporting and internal controls for CI AISBL Belgium office:
- Prepare and account for Quarterly Member contribution requests;
- Account for payroll costs, travel expenses and infrastructure costs such as rent;
- Ensure that all transactions and accounting entries are made in a timely manner and in accordance with Secretariat financial rules and regulations;
- Authorise bank payments jointly with another senior colleague;
- Ensure monthly accounting reconciliations.
Other tasks as required.
Internal: CI Secretariat Brussels Team, CI Finance teams in Switzerland and those in CARE Members, CI Secretariat HR and Administration.
External: Auditors, Tax Advisors, Banks, Lawyers, Belgium Institutions (e.g. Moniteur Belge), Insurances’ contacts and broker and external providers.
Qualifications and Work Experience
- At least 7 years of relevant accounting, reporting and controlling professional experience;
- Experience in monthly and year end closing, consolidation, balance sheet reconciliations (including intercompany), audit and annual budgeting processes;
- Experience of Belgian statutory reporting;
- Staff management experience and ability;
- Experience with, and good understanding of accounting system (e.g. Oracle, Sun, Winbooks). Experience in implementing accounting systems is highly desirable;
- Experience using Accon software desirable;
- International experience, desirable;
- Experience with EC grant financial reporting, desirable.
- Interest in and commitment to working with CARE;
- Fluent in oral and written French and English;
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work with a high degree of autonomy;
- Flexibility to respond to rapidly evolving work priorities;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- High level excel skills;
- Ability to both handle detail and to assess the “big picture”;
- Demonstrable team-working skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues working in many different locations and across diverse cultures/languages;
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills;
- Solution-orientated, excellent problem-solving skills;
- Willingness and ability to travel.
We invite interested and qualified candidates to submit their CVs and a covering letter of interest in English to [email protected] by June 30th, 2020 COB CET time. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
More Information on CARE International is available at www.care-international.org.
CARE seeks to improve the lives of the most marginalized, particularly women and girls. Our diversity is our strength. We encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org