The Thomson Reuters Foundation stands for free, independent journalism, human rights, women’s empowerment, and the rule of law. We use the skills, values, and expertise of Thomson Reuters to run programmes that trigger real change and empower people around the world, including free legal assistance, journalism, media and communication training, coverage of the world’s under-reported stories, and the Trust Conference.
Our Media Development team fosters the highest standards of journalism worldwide. We believe accurate, impartial and independent journalism leads to better-informed societies. It holds power to account, strengthens the rule of law and contributes to economic and social development.
We provide support to journalists and independent media outlets to produce and distribute high quality journalism in some of the world’s most challenging environments. Activities include:
- Training: Hands-on training from Reuters and international experts with a focus on producing real stories
- Mentoring: Editorial support from idea to publication by Reuters veterans to give stories global resonance
- Small grants: Funds for specific investigations and cross-border collaborations
- Distribution: Global channels to bring the best journalism to the widest possible audience
- Fellowships: Opportunities to broaden horizons through research and exchange
- Newsroom consultancies: Strategy, sustainability and editorial policy inputs
We are seeking an Operational Coordinator to join the Media Development team in London to implement international projects.
Please note, this is a fixed term contract until 31 March 2022.
The Operations Coordinator will provide financial, logistics, HR and health safety and security support to two projects in Eastern Europe. The role will work closely with the respective Project Managers, finance and legal teams to ensure smooth operational running of the programme of work. They will be responsible for updating budget trackers, raising and processing invoicing, all travel and logistics support to the project team and consultants, support in onboarding and contracting consultants and updating risk and health safety and security tools.
This position will dedicate significant time to the Media Development team’s new programming in Eastern Partnership countries, supporting initiatives to support a functioning free and fair press in countries including Ukraine, Georgia, Latvia, and Estonia.
Key tasks, duties and responsibilities
- Update project finances on a monthly basis and coordinating with colleagues, partners and finance teams to do so
- Complete monthly financial reporting to our partners and internal stakeholders
- Manage consultant invoicing and administration
- Support contracting of consultants
- Support onboarding new project staff into the respective projects
- Be the primary point of contact for travel and logistic related tasks on both projects
- Input into risk, health, safety and security tools and processes
- Support efforts to facilitate information sharing within the Media Development team and with other Foundation units
- Support the process of identifying, assessing and managing risks to the success of the project
- Estimate costs, timescales and resource requirements for the successful completion of each project to agreed scope and constraints
- Support an effective communication plan and operating rhythm
Skills and Attributes
- Experience working with international donors, particularly FCO (CSSF) and DFID. Familiarity with donor reporting requirements
- A self-starter able to show initiative and take responsibly for their own tasks
- Track record in coordinating successful projects in the international development context
- Experience in a role in journalism/media, international relations, international development or relevant field
- Outstanding understanding of the project or programme rhythm and ability to evidence operationalising projects
- Excellent budget and financial management, including fluency in Excel
- Resilience, ability to cope with high pressure projects and work environments and find solutions to problems when they arise
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to quickly understand complex information and communicate to non-experts
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to establish and maintain positive working relationships both internally and externally, with people from a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds
- Fluency in English; other languages (such as Russia, Latvian or Estonian) would be an advantage
- Experience in remote programme management, programme start up, mobilisation and close down
Please note, the closing date for applications is Sunday 5th July 2020 at 11.59pm UK Time.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org