The European Youth Forum is the voice of young people across Europe. We represent over 100 youth organisations, over 40 million young people directly and over 150 million young people indirectly.
The Youth Forum empowers young people to participate in society by representing and advocating their needs and interests and those of their organisations. In the current political and social climate young people can be powerful catalysts and provide solutions to Europe’s challenges.
The European Youth Forum is looking for a new External Affairs Director. The Director is part of the senior leadership team and reports to the Secretary General.
The Director plays an integral role in the development of the European Youth Forum. They co-supervise and co-manage the work of around 20 colleagues. They are jointly responsible for all external output of the Forum: advocacy, media, communications and events. Here, we are looking for someone more specialised in the advocacy function, but they should have strong skills across all external skill sets. The Director carries out the work in close cooperation with the other departments of the European Youth Forum as well as with the Board of the European Youth Forum.
- Co-lead and co-manage a team of 20 staff, particularly focusing on the advocacy output of the Youth Forum;
- Develop the European Youth Forum’s Policy and Advocacy strategy and oversee its implementation;
- Ensure that the outcomes and activities of the Youth Forum’s yearly plan are achieved in a quality and timely way;
- Set, monitor and report the budget of the Policy and Advocacy Department;
- Ensure regular coordination and cooperation with the Board;
- Establish and nurture relations with member organisations, decision-makers, alumni and other key stakeholders;
- Coordinate the overall engagement with relevant institutions and support engagement with partners and funders;
- Ensure compliance of the department to the organisation’s human resources and finances regulations.
- At least 5 years experience in people management;
- At least 8 years experience in external affairs (policy/events/communications/public affairs);
- Extensive professional experience in project management and in managing teams, preferably in a multicultural environment;
- Relevant professional experience working at international level in developing policy and advocacy strategies.
- Ability to inspire, motivate, supervise and guide people;
- Willingness to empower individuals and contribute to their professional growth;
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and planning skills;
- Strong advocacy skills at European and International level;
- Ability to interact, communicate and work with the Board in an effective and diplomatic way;
- Ability to promote a culture of collaboration;
- Good understanding of a membership-based organisation, how to drive consensus in a large group of organisations and partners;
- Good understanding of, or experience in, decision-making processes of the European Union, Council of Europe and International Institutions (especially the United Nations);
- Good understanding of the youth sector (funding, membership, youth work) is a strong asset;
- Outstanding communications skills, both speaking and writing (required in English, any additional language is an asset);
- Critical, flexible and solution oriented;
- Ability to work under pressure, manage a challenging workload and tight deadlines;
- Ability to master new technical and organisation concepts and information.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org