Within delegated authority, the Senior Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Takes the lead in the analysis and follow up of the key issues related to the investment promotion regimes for LDCs focusing on national policies and regulatory frameworks of host and home countries, systematically monitors the patterns and flows of investment to LDCs, undertaking analysis of contribution of such investments to the building of productive capacities across the economies of LDCs and preparing and/or reviewing documents.
- Coordinates work related to technology transfer and science, technology and innovation support mechanism for LDCs, including liaising with the technology bank for LDCs and other science, technology and innovation supporting mechanisms.
- Directs substantive support related to investment promotion and technology transfer to organize consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Actively participates in the process of major Conferences and Summits in the area of economic and social development with a view to ensuring the full integration of the priority areas of the Programme of Action for the Least Developed Countries into the outcome documents and frameworks for action.
- Liaises with the relevant departments and organizations of the United Nations system to give particular attention to the issues and concerns of the least developed countries in all relevant reports in the economic, social, environmental and related fields in order to support the implementation of the goals set out in the Programme of Action for the Least Developed Countries.
- Contributes to the preparation and implementation of the programme budget for the activities under his/her responsibility and ensures preparation of related documents (e.g. programme budget, performance reports and workplans).
- Attends to various administrative matters concerning the Office, including UN secretariat wide change-management initiatives.
- Ensures effective utilization of resources; supervises consultants; promotes gender mainstreaming and women empowerment.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of south-south and triangular cooperation and contributions to the development of the most vulnerable countries, in particular the least developed countries. Ability to identify key strategic issues and opportunities associated with south-south and triangular cooperation. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Planning and Organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in economics, development studies, international relations or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible working experience in the areas of economic analysis, economic and social development, international relations or in a related field, of which at least five (5) years should be at multilateral/international levels, is required.
- Experience with intergovernmental processes is desirable.
- Experience in inter-agency affairs is desirable.
- Experience in programme management, including results-based management and resource mobilization, is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org