The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level. We support over 350 partner organizations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
Context of the role
The ECF Programme Industry & Innovation works with a wide range of partners in civil society, think tanks, research, politics and industry to support positive action on climate in European heavy industry, both at the level of the EU and in major member states. Our goal is to contribute to a thriving and competitive European industry that is able to comply with the objectives of the Paris Agreement of net-zero emissions. We aim to cluster our work not based on political spectrums but on implementable ways to achieve tangible results. The role of Senior Associate Industry & Innovation is central in driving and implementing the ECF’s strategy for a clean industry.
The post holder will play a key role in providing strategic advice, dealing with grant management, project management and monitoring and evaluating the progress of different work streams. There will be direct engagement with other ECF programmes, partners and funders in designing and aligning strategies. The Senior Associate will be responsible for:
- Strategy development: supporting setting up the strategy for the Industry programme, priorities and budgets; co-developing and implementing strategies with our network of grantees and partners; monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; and acting as a liaison to report regular progress to donors;
- Grant-making: developing the scope of work for different ECF projects; soliciting and validating proposals from potential partners; drafting recommendations for the consideration of the ECF board and our donors;
- Research activities & prospecting: supporting the director in scoping the landscape around European and national climate politics and advocacy, as well as identifying potential new projects & grantees;
- Internal coordination and communication: liaising with ECF’s sectorial and country programmes and the organisation’s operations and communications teams to ensure proper and timely dissemination of information, and consistency and complementarity of different projects and work streams;
- Networking: building partnerships with key individuals across the policymaking, business, research and civil society communities on a European and national level; participating and convening high-level meetings; moderation of workshops and public speaking.
We look for the following attributes in our applicants:
- 5 - 7 years of experience in either a public authority, a civil society organization, or an industrial company;
- a track record of delivering impact in influencing an area of policy, with a preference for those who have successfully made a strong positive impact on climate change and/or industrial policy in the EU;
- a broad understanding of key EU policy files (e.g. EU Emissions Trading Scheme; Carbon border adjustment; industrial emissions directive; sustainable product policies etc.);
- strong diplomatic and networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of partners;
- passion about both climate/energy policy and climate-friendly technologies. Your passion needs to be underwritten by significant expertise on topics of relevance, such as: transformation of energy systems, innovation in energy intensive materials, circular economy, materials efficiency and carbon capture and storage;
- an excellent command of the English languages (both spoken and written); French and/or German highly desired. Any additional European languages valuable;
- being structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously; an enthusiastic personality, with a positive, can-do attitude; an independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- a proven track record of working in an environment that demands professionalism, discretion and confidentiality.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time permanent contract.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org