Reporting to the Spotlight Afghanistan Technical Lead Coordinator (EVAW), and to the EVAW Programme manager on work related to the overall prevention portfolio, the Programme Specialist exercises responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing the Spotlight Initiative activities related to VAWG prevention, and more particularly Pillar 3 of the Spotlight Initiative. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN partner agencies, the Resident Coordinator Office, the Spotlight Secretariat, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, the EU and civil society, ensuring successful implementation of the Spotlight programme.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Lead the implementation and management of the Spotlight initiative related to VAWG prevention:
- Provide inputs into the annual workplan and budget and support the implementation, particularly as it relates to UN Women Prevention work and Pillar 3 of the Spotlight Initiative;
- Manage the technical implementation of the UN women Spotlight initiative activities; ensure synergies with other teams, work and pillars, ensuring inclusion and coherence of VAWG prevention work across the Spotlight programme and with other UN agencies’ prevention work;
- Ensure the implementation of the programme is in line with results-based management standards and evidence-based approaches, ensuring a do-no harm approach and respect of other ethic principles;
- Provide input to Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings as needed.
- Provide technical support on Spotlight Initiative related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees as needed;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development programme is harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts.
Lead technical assistance and capacity development to programme stakeholders on VAWG prevention, including for the Spotlight Initiative:
- Provide technical advice and guidance in the area of VAWG Prevention;
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building to local partners supporting programme implementation;
- Develop and implement technical tools, and initiatives to support VAWG prevention efforts;
- Provide a forum for exchanging experiences; consolidate lessons learned and key outcomes of workshops, webinars and other meetings/events;
- Ensure UN Women's strategic and technical support to government counterparts, non-state actors, UN agencies, UN Women Country teams, implementing partners and partners through direct involvement and provision of advisory services as needed;
- Identify capacity building needs of partners and lead the coordination of technical assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives to partners, particularly of implementing partners.
Lead advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts in the area of VAWG prevention:
- Develop and review background documents, briefs and presentations related to the Spotlight Initiative and overall prevention work
- Provide inputs to country strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents and oversee their implementation as necessary;
- Prepare technical background documents and briefs.
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide programme improvement and strategy planning;
- Develop and provide inputs into knowledge management strategies, products and methodologies.
Technically lead the VAWG prevention component of the EVAW Portfolio:
- Serve as the lead expert for UN Women VAWG prevention component of the EVAW Portfolio, in providing technical advisory services on policy and projects development and initiatives to prevent violence against women and girls, based on knowledge of good practices and evidence-based approaches.
- Provide technical support in the development and implementation of UN Women’s prevention programme, with a view to ensure quality and complementarity with the Spotlight programme.
- Provide oversight, close guidance and direction to ensure strategic focus, result orientation and effectiveness and efficiency of the VAWG prevention component of the EVAW Portfolio.
- Provide technical advisory services in the conceptualization, development and oversight of implementation of the VAWG prevention component of the EVAW Portfolio.
- Monitor trends and issues related to the prevention of VAW in Afghanistan and develop strategic responses to opportunities and challenges.
- Develop programme and project planning frameworks, research framework and communications strategy regarding VAWG prevention, especially in media, community and sport settings.
- Provide capacity development support to the team members and implementing partners through mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality of programme delivery in line with budget and workplans, and in line with all UN Women operational rules and regulations, including security and do-no harm approach
- Timely and quality monitoring and evaluation of programmes
- Relations with partners and stakeholders
- Quality reports and timely submission
- Regular communication with other agencies and partners
- Quality of advocacy and communication initiatives
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Strong knowledge of ending violence against women, VAWG prevention and social norms change.
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising and develop strategies
Required Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, or monitoring and evaluation of development projects, preferably focused on, or strongly involving prevention of VAW and gender equality at national, regional and international levels.;
- Strong technical experience in VAWG prevention and social norms change;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset;
- Experience in leading/managing a team is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org