PILnet is a global non-governmental organization that creates opportunities for social change by unlocking law’s full potential. With programs in Europe & Eurasia, Asia, and at the global level, PILnet aims to reclaim and reimagine the role of law so that it works for the benefit of all.
PILnet builds networks and collaborations of public and private lawyers who understand how law works when it serves the interests of the privileged and then it uses that knowledge to strengthen civil society and the communities they serve. PILnet not only obtains high-quality, free legal assistance for civil society organizations when they urgently need it but also helps organizations to capitalize on the full range of specialized legal expertise that can be provided by corporate lawyers, including against ongoing, or even yet-to-be-determined, challenges.
PILnet is hiring a senior program officer to manage the design and implementation of a fellowship program for legal professionals from China. Called the Public Interest Law Innovators Fellowship, the program will offer legal professionals with a focus or interest in public interest law an opportunity to learn both online and in person, where possible, about the history of public interest law and techniques and approaches for its application today. Under the supervision of the Executive and Deputy Directors, the Senior Program Officer will apply their technical skills, education, and experience to ensure the successful and timely design and implementation of the program. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Draft a work plan and task lists related to the design and implementation of the public interest law fellowship program
- Manage and coordinate the design of the fellowship program, including an online and in person course curriculum, in close collaboration with a team including the Executive Director, legal officers, and program and administrative staff from across the organization
- Work closely with both staff and external actors, such as pro bono lawyers and NGO partners, to manage the process of creating high-quality online course content, such as a syllabus, written materials, video content, and interactive lecture and discussion outlines
- Coordinate effectively with the organization’s technology staff to ensure the smooth delivery of the online course content to participants
- Manage the process to identify, invite, vet, and onboard fellows to participate in the program, in coordination with a local law school partner
- Manage a process to provide translation services to participants as needed
- Monitor, evaluate, and draft extensive reports for continuous improvement of program and to funders
- Undergraduate degree in law, political science, international relations, public administration, or related field. Strong preference will be given to applicants with a law degree. Advanced degree is a plus
- Proficiency or fluency in written and spoken English and Chinese (Mandarin) required
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience, including in corporate law, legal nonprofit, or public interest law field, and/or a graduate degree in a relevant field in combination with relevant experience
- Strong interest in public interest law, social justice, and human rights
- Knowledge of the legal landscape of East Asia as it relates to public interest law, access to justice, and pro bono
- Experience working inside China and/or with the Chinese public interest law community.
- Project management experience and a record of delivering projects on time and to budget
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage competing priorities with professionalism and flexibility.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, demonstrated by the ability to present effectively and persuasively
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with staff and partners at all levels
- Working knowledge of performance evaluation techniques and key metrics; experience with U.S. government funding reporting strongly preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite (Excel, Outlook, Access, etc.) and Google Apps
- Presently authorized to work in the United States
All hiring will occur remotely. This position will be remote for the foreseeable future, until conditions allow in-person working in our New York City office.
Please send a brief resume and cover letter in English, and if available, in Chinese.
Only applicants shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org