Global Security Officer. New York. Posting Date: 02/15/2021. Deadline: 03/07/2021
Do you want to help make the world a better place with your experience of security and risk management? We're seeking a Global Security Officer based in New York, Washington DC, London or Berlin to join our global security team.
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world's largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.
The Global Security department is responsible for identifying, mitigating and responding threats and security issues relevant to Open Society's people, operations and programmatic work; crisis and incident management, and the protection of individuals traveling globally for business purpose.
A new role, the successful candidate will understand the threat landscape facing an organization like Open Society and have experience of enabling work in challenging contexts. Reporting to the Director of Global Security, they will help embed best practices and further develop and promote a proactive and inclusive security culture.As a Global Security Advisor at Open Society you will:
What we are looking for:
- Support the Director of Global Security in operationalizing Open Society's global security strategy. Manage the development of security related processes, templates and frameworks that align with the global security strategy and organizational mission.
- Monitor the security situation in locations of significance to Open Society and communicate relevant information to stakeholders.
- Provide operational security support, consultation, and guidance across the network.
- Provide initial incident response guidance as required across the network.
- Assist in the development and delivery of internal security training programs.
- Work closely with internal and external partners as required.
Desirable (but not required):
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience of physical security and risk management, ideally in a similar context and with practical experience in high risk and complex operating environments.
- Knowledge of global security and geo-political trends.
- Experience in developing and implementing global security frameworks across a matrixed organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and the ability to distill security information for internal and external consumption is required.
- Strong communications and relationship building skills; effective at building trust and confidence.
- Demonstrable ability to work with diverse and cross-cultural teams to achieve common objectives; collaborative and team-oriented.
- Commitment to continuous learning and growth in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, antiracism and social justice.
- Commitment to listening and working with humility; ways of working that are respectful to all people; and that support space and voice for all diverse perspectives in our workplace.
What we offer:
- Proficiency in another language.
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts.
- Top-notch benefits and perksdesigned for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more .
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit your cover letter and CV; we look forward to learning more about you.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.