We are looking for a dynamic self-starter Media Officer, with a creative flair who relishes working across the full range of media outlets and can spot an opportunity to turn content into compelling and thought-provoking media coverage.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and committed Media Officer, who understands the benefits of digital communications and social media opportunities to achieve media coverage, to influence change. In this role you will work as part of the Media Team and with wider Communication Teams, with the objective to increase the organisation’s media visibility across different media with a strong emphasis on securing broadcast (radio and TV) coverage as well as finding opportunities to maximise reach of content on Social Media platforms of external media outlets and CAFOD’s own channels.
The post holder is line managed by the Head of Media
- Leading on day-to-day media briefs and longer-term media projects. To include campaign moments, (G7 – June and COP26 – November 2021)
- Proactively seeking out and developing news and feature stories, maximising content on external digital platforms, and CAFOD digital channels.
- Working in coalition with external groups, ensuring that CAFOD’s key messaging is front and centre of all media opportunities.
- Setting up broadcast (Radio and Tv) media opportunities, briefing CAFOD spokes people for broadcast interviews. Researching and drafting press releases, op-eds, and feature articles.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key journalists by putting in place a journalist contact programme.
- Maintaining media databases, logging coverage, and reporting against CAFOD corporate targets
- Has experience or understanding of working in a policy, public campaigning arena using media and digital work to influence change.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Can write creatively, concisely, and clearly.
- Has an eye for a good story and knows how to explore best angles to secure media coverage.
- Able to work in a team and build relationships with other colleagues in teams. Proven ability of coalition working to achieve media coverage.
- Has good IT skills and knows their way around Social Media.
- Understanding our context
- Understanding CAFOD; Able to communicate what is distinctive about CAFOD as a Catholic development agency and how this supports the vision and mission of Our Common Home
- Working together
- Managing ourselves; Is a self-organiser, able to work to tight deadlines often under pressure Willingly takes responsibility for getting work done, working systematically with accuracy. Readily shares ideas, knowledge and expertise with Media Team colleagues and others.
- Working with others; Takes care to better understand the needs and perspectives of those we work with. Welcomes feedback or expert advice and takes it on board. Builds collaborative working relationships and challenges constructively.
- Communicating; Has good verbal and written skills - a warm and approachable manner. Can share ideas, knowledge, and information with colleagues. Is confident working with senior members of the organisation – able to prepare them for broadcast interviews, or verbally brief on an issue.
- Making change happen
- Achieving results: Has a clear sense of purpose while prioritising several media pitches. Can be relied upon to meet deadlines.
- Managing Resources: Uses information systems and processes to ensure work is completed efficiently.
This list of duties and responsibilities is by no means exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as required. This job description is subject to regular review and appropriate modification.
Job Specific Competencies
- Able to be persuasive with pitching to broadcast producers/journalists/media outlets, and maximising media coverage for social media channels.
- A nose for a story and a keen insight into news and current affairs.
- Able to work effectively and efficiently on issues that are often complex to find the best approach for CAFOD’s media engagement.
- Ability to be flexible and work across different organisational briefs and activities – including Campaigns and Policy, longer-term development stories and emergencies
- Able to meet tight deadlines and make decisions on what to prioritise when working under pressure on several stories
- Working with digital colleagues to ensure media content can also be used on CAFOD’s website and or on corporate social media platforms.
- Able to support cross-organisational initiatives integrating corporate objectives into media work, and support, motivate and develop staff in understanding what works best for media.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org