The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adult members to work as a team in Prince William Forest National Park.
Program Dates: June 14- September 17, 2021
Training Dates: June 7- 11, 2021 (mandatory paid training, training will take place virtually)
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday, 7:30am- 3:30pm. Up to five hours per week of administrative work outside of normal work hours.
As Crew Leader, you will be working with and supporting a team of three young adult members (18 year of age or older). The crew’s focus will be on campsite restoration and maintaining of culverts throughout the park. The campsite restoration will include removal of existing picnic tables, barbeque grills and cement pads, followed by building and installing new tables and grills. The crew will also be responsible for clearing and maintaining all 92 culverts throughout the park. The crew will work to ensure that the culverts are cleared of debris and sediment buildup. Project monitoring and data collection will be required throughout the season. Leader will also be responsible for completing a final report of work accomplishments.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
- Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
- Experience working with youth or young adults, teaching or environmental education a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Must be able to attend Crew Leader training: June 7-11, 2021
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
- Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements near the worksite
- As long as Covid-19 is a threat, leaders are expected to do their part to keep their team safe, this includes being mindful of current regulations, regular cleaning and disinfection of tools/equipment, regular health check-ins with staff, wearing a mask, and following policy and procedures outlined in SCA’s COVID management plan.
Compensation: $675/week total salary during position, plus $600 for week of virtual training
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org