Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Strategic Planning and Outreach Unit at the ECLAC Subregional Headquarters for the Caribbean in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. ECLAC in Port-of-Spain covers the 30 countries and territories of the wider Caribbean subregion.
The Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean is one of the five regional commissions of the United Nations. It was founded in 1948 to contribute to the region's economic and social development. Its mission includes the design, monitoring and evaluation of public policies and the provision of advisory services, expertise and training to Governments, as well as support for regional and international cooperation and coordination activities. Please visit our website at www.eclac.org, for further information.
Under the overall supervision of the Director of the ECLAC Subregional Headquarters in Port of Spain, and with the direct supervision of the Deputy Director, the Public Information Officer will perform the following duties:
- Serve as Chief of the Strategic Planning and Outreach Unit;
- Ensure implementation of information programmes to publicize priority issues and/or major events, to include drafting information and outreach strategies, coordinating efforts, monitoring and reporting on progress, taking appropriate follow-up action, and analyzing the outcome;
- Responsible for implementation of a public relations outreach strategy through an enhanced knowledge management process in collaboration with the Caribbean Knowledge Management Centre;
- Monitors national and subregional level political developments and their impact on the countries of the Caribbean subregion; monitors and analyzes current events, public opinion and press, identifies issues and trends, and advises management on appropriate action/response;
- Assists the Office of the Director in maintaining contact with representatives of government, UN agencies and other regional and international organizations, in the discharge of activities and meetings relevant to the Caribbean Development and Cooperation Committee (CDCC), the ECLAC subsidiary body for the subregion;
- Undertakes activities to promote media coverage (e.g. press conferences, interviews, press seminars and other special activities) of priority issues and/or major events, to include development of a media strategy and action plan, initiating pro-active media outreach efforts, proposing and arranging press conferences/media coverage, disseminating materials and consulting with press on approach/story angle and other information requests, undertaking appropriate follow-up action and analyzing and reporting on the impact of coverage;
- Produces or oversees production of a specific type or types (e.g. print, broadcast, etc.) of information communications products (e.g. press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, radio spot program, etc.), to include proposing topics, undertaking research, determining appropriate medium and target audience, preparing production plans, writing drafts, obtaining clearances and finalizing texts, editing copy, and coordinating design approval, printing procedures and distribution;
- Prepares, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initial drafts of articles or chapters for inclusion in UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books.
- Initiates and sustain professional relationships with key constituencies;
- Acts as focal point on specific issues, monitoring and reporting on developments, responding to inquiries, etc.;
- Participates in selecting the information transmitted to key constituencies;
- Provides guidance to, and supervise the staff of the Strategic Planning and Outreach Unit;
- In collaboration with ECLAC headquarters in Santiago, coordinates the launch of flagship publications in Port of Spain;
- Responsible for organizing and updating the database of key stakeholders for the Port of Spain Subregional Headquarters.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Ability to identify political and public affairs issues, opportunities and risks in an international environment. Ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related social field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area are required.
- Experience with full range of communications approaches, tools, and methodologies essential to planning and executing effective campaign strategies and programmes, e.g. campaign management, media operations, marketing and promotion, audience outreach, message targeting, is required;
- Experience in delivering a variety of written communications products in a clear, concise style is required;
- Experience in delivering oral presentations to various audiences is required;
- Experience in designing and implementing knowledge management strategies, practices and processes in international organizations is desirable;
- Experience in supporting intergovernmental processes, including servicing intergovernmental discussions and high-level events is desirable;
- Experience with television and written media in the subregion is desirable;
- Experience in the main issues that present a challenge to the sustainable development of Small Islands Developing States (SIDS), especially those of particular relevance to Caribbean SIDS, such as climate change, social protection and disaster risk reduction is desirable;
- Experience with fundraising strategies, tools and processes is desirable;
- Experience in organizing and facilitating workshops and meetings is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Spanish is desirable. Knowledge of French is desirable.
NOTE: ‘’Fluency’’ equals a rating of ‘’fluent’’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and ‘’Knowledge of’’ equals a rating of ‘’confident’’ in two of the four areas.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org