ZemiTek, LLC is a Woman-Owned, SBA-certified 8(a) Small Disadvantage Business (SDB) based in the Washington, DC metro area. We have a strong record delivering innovative and high-quality solutions. Since 2007, ZemiTek has provided technical assistance, project management, information technology (IT), knowledge management, monitoring and evaluation, training and learning development, and institutional support services.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted through ZemiTek partnered with CAMRIS International, to recruit and hire qualified individuals for the following position: Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist.
The Bureau for Africa (AFR) is the USAID/Washington operating unit charged with managing USAID economic development programs in Africa. The Office of Development Planning within the Africa Bureau (AFR/DP) provides leadership for Bureau strategy and policy development and overseas monitoring, evaluation and assessment of performance of Africa Bureau programs. AFR/DP identifies and addresses crosscutting development issues, manages the allocation and tracking of budget resources, assesses the impact of assistance, coordinates assistance with other donors, provides guidance on overall program and budgeting strategy and policies, and coordinates public outreach on USAID Africa programs.
This position is located in the Policy, Outreach, Strategy, and Evaluation Division of the Office of Development Planning in the Africa Bureau (AFR/DP/POSE). The incumbent serves primarily as AFR’s Program Analyst for monitoring and evaluation (M&E) to promote the integration of the Agency’s monitoring, evaluation, and reporting mandates into the strategies and operational plans of all Africa Bureau operating units. He/she reports to the POSE Division Chief while working under the technical direction of the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor.
The role of M&E is critical to the success of ongoing foreign assistance reforms that aim to define a comprehensive global development strategy for the U.S. against which to measure success and upon which to report to all stakeholders both at home and abroad. Integrating M&E into effective planning and implementation processes increases the Agency’s ability to evaluate the effectiveness of USG foreign assistance and make strategic decisions to advance global development.
AFR/DP is committed to providing a depth of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) expertise in order to ensure USAID Africa Bureau and all OUs are meeting the requirements set out in the 2016 Foreign Aid Transparency and Accountability Act, the 2018 Evidence Act, and USAID’s policy for implementing these laws in ADS 201: Operational Policy for the Program Cycle. AFR/DP also commits to supporting all OUs in the Africa Region develop and maintain robust monitoring, evaluation, and learning systems to generate reliable information to use to inform strategic planning, project design, program adaptations, and to shape regional priorities or policies.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will help AFR/DP broaden its support for monitoring and evaluation planning and implementation in Africa Bureau missions and strengthen its ability to identify and share best practices across Africa and from other parts of USAID. The M&E Specialist is responsible for the following:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Monitoring and Evaluation Capacity Development and Support (30%)
- Provides direct technical assistance to Africa Bureau OUs about M&E approaches, how to strengthen OU systems and operations, specifically providing support to develop or revise relevant Mission Orders, Strategy-level Performance Management Plans (PMPs), Project and Activity MEL Plans for learning and adapting data.
- Provides, as needed, training to the Africa Bureau OUs on specific M&E topics. Training may be related to technical areas such as evaluation methods, developing evaluation SOWs, designing performance or context indicators, collecting baseline data, setting targets, analyzing data, and conducting data quality assessments.
- Assists Missions in interpreting the results and impact of development activities, conveying that information to technical officers and senior managers, and facilitating its application to critical program and policy decisions.
- Supports the annual Performance Plan and Report (PPR) process, including working with Pillar Bureaus about indicator assignments, supporting all AFR Bureau OUs to report relevant data accurately and timely, review and provide feedback on the draft PPR reports, and analyze pertinent information to use for AFR Bureau learning and other reporting needs.
- Ensures timely reporting to the Evaluation Registry.
- Provides technical assistance via in-person TDYs or virtual support, and via one-on-one technical assistance or via facilitating group workshops.
Policy and Program Guidance (25%)
- Serves as Africa Bureau’s secondary point of contact for all M&E issues, especially those related to the USAID Operational Policy for the Program Cycle (ADS 201) defining the purposes, types, and approaches to monitoring and evaluation as a means of systematic feedback about the USAID’s development programs in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Reviews and provides feedback on AFR and Agency guidance, tools, and processes about M&E and assists in the dissemination of these documents to all AFR operating units.
- In collaboration with PPL, develops context-specific operational guidance (tools, templates, how-to-notes, and examples) to facilitate Mission’s interpretation and application of the Agency and Bureau guidance on M&E.
- In collaboration with PPL, reviews training materials and suggests improvements to training curricula or recommend cost-effective and appropriate teaching methodologies to deliver these curricula, including regional workshops, webinars, and other online coaching venues.
Africa Bureau Operations and Leadership Support (25%)
- Supports the Africa Bureau Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plans to ensure the Bureau MEL efforts are prioritized and meet the needs of internal and external Africa stakeholders.
- Contributes to building AFR Bureau’s capacity to analyze, synthesize, and disseminate information regarding the impacts of USAID programs in Africa to senior Agency decision-makers, members of Congress, and other stakeholders.
- Reviews and provides feedback to AFR Bureau PPR particularly indicators and data quality as well as evaluation registries to ensure high quality data for decision making and effective planning and use of high-quality evaluations.
- Provides programmatic M&E data to Africa Bureau colleagues, particularly supporting efforts for budgetary resources.
- Supports Agency and Bureau-led initiatives and ad hoc priorities requiring M&E subject matter expertise.
- Provides subject matter expertise to all Africa Bureau OUs in deploying, maintaining, and using the Development Information Solution (DIS) performance management IT system.
Communication, knowledge management and sharing (20%)
- Co-facilitates and manages the AFR M&E Working Group intended to increase peer-to-peer learning and cross-pollination of M&E approaches.
- Disseminates any relevant information, updates, or follow-up actions to Mission program officers and technical teams as needed.
- Collaborates with other Bureau M&E POCs, particularly PPL/LER on M&E issues.
- Serves as a point of contact and liaison between USAID missions and the Africa Bureau as well as with other USAID Bureaus and Offices and USG Agencies.
- Stays current on state-of-the-art performance measurement tools and techniques both inside and outside the Agency through participation in M&E working groups and communities, practice, conferences and seminars.
- Shares good M&E examples, approaches, and important M&E news, events, and developments with Africa Bureau and field staff.
Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, international relations, international development or a related field with three years of relevant experience in program monitoring and evaluation, excellent knowledge and skills in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis, data management and reporting approaches in a development context. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience with Management Information Systems for capturing performance data. Proven ability to interpret evaluation principles and findings for policy statements and field guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize information to present complex issues clearly and concisely both orally and in writing. Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Mastery of a wide range of qualitative and/or quantitative methods for the assessment and improvement of program effectiveness or the improvement of complex management processes and system.
- Knowledge of results frameworks and how to apply a theory of change to goals and objectives as well as familiarity with M&E methods of evaluating the worth of program accomplishments.
- Knowledge of issues related to one or preferably more of the following areas: agriculture/food security, economic growth, health, education, democracy and governance, and climate change/environment.
- Familiarity with U.S. Government’s foreign policy objectives and development programs. Knowledge of development conditions in Africa, including host country policies and priorities, and of African communities and societies.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team player who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives. Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to speak French or Portuguese is desirable.
- Ability to travel internationally at approximately 25%, subject to coronavirus restrictions being lifted.
- US Citizenship and the ability to obtain a Secret security clearance required.
This is an opportunity for employment or a contract, but we reserve the right to make no selection or award.
ZemiTek and CAMRIS International offer competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org