The incumbent serves as Africa Division Director, Voice of America (VOA), U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). The Africa Division is a major regional subdivision of the VOA network, overseeing broadcasts in multiple languages to the 54 countries of Africa, including broadcasts in the Hausa, Tigrigna, Amharic, Afan Oromo, Somali, English, French, Portuguese, Bambara, Wolof, Lingala, Shona, Ndebele, Kurundi and Kinyarwanda languages. Incumbent reports to the VOA Director for Programming.
Learn more about this agency
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
Programming - Oversees the news, broadcast programming, and digital outputs of the Africa Division and its personnel, providing editorial and content supervision in a way that preserve VOA credibility, maximize audience in a cost effective manner, maintain the editorial independence of VOA, comply with the VOA Charter and Journalistic Code, provide citizens with accurate and objective news and useful information, and explain the principles of democracy and its role in building a civil society.
- Plans, organizes and directs radio, television, and Internet and other digital content and journalism, to the targeted region, including placement on local affiliates where possible, with final responsibility for overall quality and content of Division programming, including format, production values, and the use of appropriate media for distribution.
- Develops and executes content, placement, advertising and promotion strategies that extend the reach of content in the region's targeted areas - by any medium, whether delivered by broadcast, online, or mobile.
Division Strategic Planning, Resource and Organizational Management - Exercises discretionary authority, as delegated, to approve the allocation and distribution of funds in the organization's budget.
- Develops work requirements; selects contractors; manages any relevant contracts.
- Maintains internal controls to monitor and ensure proper and efficient use of funds and resources and to evaluate and improve organizational performance, including improving processes and Human Resource Management - Manages the Division staff through subordinate service chiefs and other Division managers and supervisors:
Human Resource Management - Ensures effectiveness, productivity, and performance quality of employees by providing timely and accurate performance appraisals, links performance expectations to USAGM and VOA objectives, rewards superior performance; and ensures that Service Chiefs and subordinate managers provide timely and accurate appraisals and reward superior performance.
- Oversees recruitment in Division and/or recruits, selects, and on-boards staff and contractors.
- Takes steps to develop a diverse, representative workforce in accordance with USAGM standards and other measures as appropriate. Complies with Equal Employment Opportunity laws and policies, and OPM Merit System principles and practices.
Collaboration - Coordinates Division activities within VOA and with elements of USAGM.
- Produces and contributes Division data, information, ideas, reports to Office of Performance Review and agency senior management.
- Stays informed of the political and media environment in target countries.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by closing date of the announcement to be considered.
- Applicants must complete online questionnaire.
- If you are a male applicant, born after 12/31/59, you are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act. The Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
- This is a national security position. If selected, this position requires the completion of the SF-86.
- Suitability Determination: If selected, you will be subject to a security investigation to establish your suitability for federal employment. The security investigation will include, among other aspects, a review of your credit and legal history.
- This position is not covered by a Union Agreement
- This position has been designated supervisory requiring that the selectee serve on an initial appointment as a supervisor or manager serve a one-year probationary period.
- If selected for this vacancy, you will be required to file the OGE Form 450 (Confidential Financial Disclosure Report).
- The full performance grade level for this position is GS-15.
Applicants must have a minimum of one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility comparable to the GS-14 or comparable pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private sector AND fluency in English and conversant (written/spoken/read) in one of the other languages in which VOA produces content for sub-Saharan Africa listed here: http:www.voa.news.com/Africa.
Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Specialized experience MUST include work involving all of the following:
- Directing at a senior managerial level, the activities involved in managing content creation, journalism, news reporting, and broadcasting to an international audience, using a combination of radio, television, and digital audio/visual and text media.
- Managing a high-performing news organization including developing and executing the budget, developing and communicating a strategic vision and plan, and reviewing organizational performance to achieve specific metrics.
- Performing supervision of subordinates, including performance reviews, and correcting substandard performance, demonstrating the ability to smoothly and directly oversee as many as 15 direct reports with responsibility for more than sixty personnel through two or more levels of subordinate supervisors.
- Demonstrating knowledge of U.S. and world current events, U.S. foreign policy and national security objectives, demonstrating in-depth knowledge of the target area, and demonstrating documented work experience in or with the target Africa region.
- Experience as a journalist regularly covering sub-Saharan Africa.
Applicant cannot substitute education for experience.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org