Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the integrated Coordination Unit of the UN Office of the Special Coordinator for Lebanon (UNSCOL) in Lebanon, Beirut.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Coordination Officer (UNSCOL), the Coordination Officer is responsible for the following duties:
Partnerships, Planning and Programming
- Support UNSCOL's coordination and strategic planning for an integrated UN response focused on the prevention agenda and the implementation of the humanitarian development peace nexus in Lebanon;
- Develop and maintain productive partnerships with mission components, UNCT members, national authorities, bilateral and multilateral donors, regional organizations, international financial institutions, the private sector, civil society and other stakeholders;
- Support the preparation and implementation of Mission and UN common planning and programming processes, including the peace and security components of UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework for Lebanon;
- Provide substantive and practical UNSCOL support to mandate-related coordination mechanisms such as serving as secretariat, to relevant committees, task forces, clusters, interagency coordination groups, steering committees and working groups;
- Monitor and evaluate actions implemented through these frameworks, prepare position papers, and track and record policy related decisions;
- Organize and provide substantive and practical UNSCOL support to conferences, meetings, seminars and workshops, as necessary;
- Serve as a focal point between the Mission and UNCT and Headquarters, and support Technical Assessment Missions, Strategic Assessment Missions and Strategic Reviews.
Analysis, Advice and Reporting
- Identify emerging political-economy issues to support strategies for a common UN approach through policy, advocacy and/or programming efforts;
- Support the development of integrated strategies, policies and other measures designed to achieve common objectives between the Mission, UNCT and other partners;
- Prepare summary and analytical documents, including situation reports, background notes, options papers, code cables and input for reports of the Secretary-General, including on Security Council Resolution 1701, in coordination with relevant Mission components and the UNCT;
- Where appropriate, serve as the focal point for coordinating and reporting on Mission or UN system wide administrative inquiries and processes.
Information Management and Communication
- Facilitate the flow of information between stakeholders, including between the Mission and UNCT;
- Draft communication products such as key messages, talking points and speeches.
- Professionalism - Takes initiative and consistently drives for high quality performance for self and colleagues. Strong inter-personal skills, including the ability to manage multi stakeholder processes. Values diversity and works effectively with colleagues and contacts in the immediate and wider teams in pursuit of objectives. Anticipates and manages risk. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspective and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjust priorities where necessary; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in International Development Studies, Public Administration, Political Science, Management, Economics, Diplomacy or Development;
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Professional training in the areas of planning and/or coordination is an asset.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in economic and social international development, programme management, humanitarian affairs, political affairs or civil affairs is required;
- Experience supporting or facilitating multi-stakeholder strategic planning processes at the national level in a peace consolidation and/or sociopolitical unrest setting is required;
- Field experience is required, including at least two years in a UN peacekeeping mission and/or Special Political Mission and/or with UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes;
- A minimum of two years' experience with an international organization or non-government organization in a multilayered socioeconomic crisis operational setting is required
- Field experience from MENA region is desirable;
- Experience working on UN common planning and programming processes is desirable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required; knowledge of Arabic is required, knowledge of a third UN language “French” would be an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org