Global Ties U.S. powers individuals, communities, and nations to build trust and advance peace and prosperity through international exchange. Through our Network of citizen ambassadors – the country’s most established and largest – we connect nearly 100 communities across the United States to the world through international exchange. Each year, through the flagship International Visitor Leadership Program and other exchange and public diplomacy programs, our local members welcome thousands of international leaders in civil society, government, and the private sector into their communities, building alliances to tackle our toughest transnational challenges and enriching U.S. communities, both socially and economically.
Global Ties U.S. is seeking an experienced Director of Strategic Communications & External Affairs to lead its efforts showcasing the unique value of the Network and its international exchange programs to key audiences, including members, funders, and policymakers. The Director develops and executes on a strategic, comprehensive communications and advocacy plan that showcases the depth and breadth of the Global Ties Network, our events, and our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice; builds capacity across Community-Based Members through individualized coaching, trainings, and toolkits; and provides counsel on a range of organization-wide priorities, including partnership development. This critical leadership role reports to the President & CEO and manages a staff of three full-time team members. As a member of the senior team, this position requires a presence in the office. Limited telework is available, and Global Ties U.S. is working remotely through calendar year 2021.
Reports to: President & CEO
FLSA Status: Exempt
Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 15
Leadership & Management
- Serve as a key member of the Global Ties U.S. Senior Management Team.
- Liaise with the Board of Directors on strategic communications- and advocacy-related activities.
- Direct all aspects of the organization’s communications, advocacy, and partnership development efforts.
- Lead, motivate, and manage a full-time staff of three responsible for the organization’s strategic communications (including content development, social media presence, thought leadership, and partnerships), advocacy, and events.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to integrate communications and advocacy considerations throughout our work.
- Represent the organization at events to reinforce Global Ties U.S.‘ brand and role within public diplomacy and international exchange.
- Stay abreast of current events in the foreign policy, public diplomacy, and international exchange fields and share information with Global Ties U.S. leadership and Network.
- Develop and implement a holistic communications and advocacy strategy for Global Ties U.S. aligned to U.S. foreign policy priorities, funder objectives, and our organization’s 2020-2023 strategic framework.
- Build strategic and daily communications capacity across the Global Ties Network by providing individualized counsel, trainings, and toolkits. \
- Lead rapid response training sessions on urgent issues affecting the Network.
- Oversee the content strategy for the organization’s platforms and vendor procurement, including a newly- refreshed website and major events.
- Serve as the main point of contact for media and press inquiries.
Advocacy & Government Relations
- Devise and implement a Congressional advocacy strategy that makes the case for robust federal funding for U.S. international exchange and public diplomacy programs.
- Develop advocacy messages and collateral for Network-wide use and support Network members in building and implementing their advocacy plans.
- Provide timely advocacy-related calls to action to the Network.
- Maintain ongoing relationships with key Congressional staffers and aligned organizations, like the Alliance for International Exchange and U.S. Global Leadership Coalition.
- Launch a series of external-facing events in partnership with the Associate Director of Development.
- Establish partnerships with external organizations that help to elevate the Global Ties Network and the role of citizen diplomacy in U.S. foreign policy.
- Position the President & CEO as a thought leader in the U.S. foreign policy and international exchange space.
- Provide strategic input to new business opportunities.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in communications and/or advocacy, including campaign development, editorial calendar development, stakeholder engagement, and vendor management.
- At least 5 years of professional experience managing a high-performing team.
- Superior written and oral communications skills, including the ability to synthesize and summarize complex issues, develop effective public-facing documents (ie., advocacy calls to action, new business proposals, annual reports, etc.), tell stories with data, and present ideas diplomatically and confidently.
- Knowledge of foreign policy, public diplomacy, and/or international exchange and ability to link Global Ties U.S.‘ work to these broader fields.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective cross-functional working relationships with and build connections among a variety of stakeholders, including staff, Global Ties U.S. members, external partners, and more.
- Skilled in seeing, communicating, and planning for the “big picture” while also meeting cooperative agreement responsibilities.
- Familiarity with platforms and tools that can increase efficiencies within the External Affairs function and help Global Ties U.S. reach target audiences.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial “roll-up-your-sleeves” attitude with a desire to innovate, develop, and implement.
- Experience at a communications / public affairs agency; in the federal government; and/or at a nonprofit.
DESIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- M.A. in international affairs, communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Experience in fundraising and/or development.
- Experience in federal grant management and reporting requirements.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Mission-driven organization
- Collaborative, flexible environment
- Excellent professional development opportunities
- Salary range: $105K-$120K
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term / Short-term disability insurance
- FSA (Flexible Spending Account)
- 403(b) retirement savings plan
- Commuter benefits
- Generous paid leave policies (vacation, sick, personal, parental, family medical, etc)
- Mobile phone use reimbursement ($50/month)
- Limited telework available
Global Ties U.S. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Read more about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $105,000.00 - $120,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
Global Ties U.S. employees currently work from home. We allow employees to work in the office, if they so choose, under strict COVID-19 guidelines including social distancing and mask wearing. We update and revise our COVID-19 policies as needed.
- Communication skills: 10 years (Preferred)
- Management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org