At Food for the Hungry, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call “The Heartbeat.” This includes our Values, Vision and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as an organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty.
Directs the organization's overall grant agreement efforts and processes. Leads the strategic planning and goal-setting process for the grants agreement management functions of US Government (USG) and non-USG grants, to ensure that FH follows donor requirements. Designs, implements, manages, and monitors the grants agreement processes and procedures. Maintains a high standard of compliance for agreement, sub-agreement and commodity management that adhere to industry standards.
● Assures compliance with grant regulations and those grants are implemented according to the operational and financial needs of the organization.
● Reviews grant proposals, manages grant databases, tracks grant applications, and engages with donor agencies.
● Develops relationships with key personnel of USG, USAID and other governmental and nongovernmental agencies and organizations to strengthen communication and collaboration during the agreement process.
● Provides support to other departments in the grant cycle to help adhere to all requirements in various grants and to ensure the agreement management life cycle is completed within proper time constraints.
● Identifies support agencies and new sources of funding, prepares budget plans and financial allocations, documents payments and monitors expenditures, tracks results, analyzes budget trends and other financial data, and makes recommendations for cost control.
● Provides leadership to the Grants Agreement Team develops and equips direct reports, both in technical skills and in leadership potential.
● Leads and develops the overall grant agreement policies and procedures in accordance with industry standards and best practices.
● Develops overall strategic operations for the departments to ensure compliance with donor reporting as per donor requirements.
● Leads the process to conduct pre-award assessment on new partners for sub-grant and sub-contract awards.
● Works directly with the General Counsel to advise executive leadership and board of necessary changes in policy and procedures as they relate to agreement management.
● Prepares for external audits, as well as, addressing internal and/or external audit queries. Models leadership to all staff and intentionally develops the leadership potential of key staff by coaching and mentoring key direct reports in technical and management skills.
● Maintain active engagement and represent FH with external audiences (including USAID) as an expert within the USG grants industry.
● Develops policies and procedures regarding grant agreements, contracts, commodities, and cooperative agreements. Work with other leaders in the organization to optimize the overall grants process.
● Leads in the reviews of donor awards, memorandum of understanding, grant agreements, sub- agreements, contracts, and donor request letters and mitigate risks.
● Leads and develops strong coordination, communication and teamwork between executive leadership and grants agreement team, acting as the liaison between grants agreement various departments (proposal development, business development, pricing, grants finance & programs) as needed to answer compliance-related questions, troubleshoot grant agreement challenges, and report on the overall status of the grants agreement portfolio.
● Assures FH interests are adequately protected and to ensure processes and procedures are maintained.
● Prepares professional presentations, data graphics and other materials on grant performance.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ, a Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian beliefs expressed in The Heartbeat.
● Demonstrated computer-operating skills, including proficiency in Google platforms, Microsoft Office products, and virtual technologies such as Skype and/or Zoom.
● Ability to sit/stand at a computer for up to 8 hours a day doing repetitive motions on a keyboard.
● Understanding of grants compliance and donor regulations, particularly with USAID, USDS, and USDA.
● Understanding of standard legal concepts as they relate to contracts.
● Superb attention to detail of complex concepts and projects.
● Ability to problem solve complex issues within the overall grants process.
● Understanding of USG commodity management.
● Ability to escalate and de-escalate as appropriate under dynamic situations.
● Excellent people and communication skills (both written and verbal) and able to relate to and effectively communicate with people from different cultures (at various levels within the organization).
● Ability to travel within the US and internationally, to insecure countries or locations.
● Typically, 7+ years of experience managing grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements specifically with USG grants.
● Prior experience in a complex, matrixed organization, with the ability to scale processes in a global, professional, service organization.
● Bachelor's degree in a business-related field or at least 10 years of experience managing grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements specifically with USG grants.
● Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Juris Doctorate (JD) a plus.
Proficiency in spoken and written English. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Directly supervises staff. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, resolving problems, etc.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org