The mission of Microsoft European Government Affairs (EGA) is to to deepen Microsoft’s understanding of the priorities of the European Union, NATO and governments across Europe, and ensure Microsoft is a constructive partner in supporting policy makers in Brussels and European capitals. We are adding new colleagues to EGA to further strengthen Microsoft's outreach and external relationship with EU institutions & NATO, national governments, and other key stakeholders across the continent as part of Microsoft’s 'Tech Fit 4 Europe' commitment.
We are looking for a Senior Manager/Director European Government Affairs to help us advance outreach and strategic campaigns in support of EGA’s overall policy objectives. The successful individual will co-lead the coordination of outreach and campaigns towards the European Institutions, Nato and European Governments in a cross-functional campaign team. In addition they will lead Microsoft’s growing health & life science policy engagement. In this capacity, they will foster Microsoft’s engagement with representatives from European institutions, other public and private stakeholders, patient organizations and customers throughout Europe, in close cooperation with Microsoft’s Health & Life Science business community.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated leadership skills and strong analytical and communications skills, along with an open, creative and not least result-oriented mindset and business acumen. In addition, the successful candidate will need a profound understanding of Europe and the European Union and be able to navigate the relevant institutions of the EU and the Governments and authorities of European countries. The successful candidate should have a strong network that can be brought into play and the ability to develop or build relationships with professionals in this field.
We are seeking a colleague who enjoys working independently but collaboratively in a collegial team environment within a fast-paced and dynamic company, and who is enthusiastic about driving positive impact, developing practical and creative approaches to advocacy.
The successful candidate will be working out of Brussels, as part of Microsoft’s European Government Affairs headed by the Vice President of European Government Affairs, reporting through the manager of the Rule of Law, Responsible Technology & Competition team.
- Advocates for, and manages, policy issues (e.g., social, political, technical), and co-leads the company’s engagements and campaign in collaboration with senior internal stakeholders related to government affairs on priority issues, strategies, and/or programs.
- Contributes to, and develops, Microsoft’s policy agenda and/or advocacy strategies for top priorities.
- Responds to key strategic issues and recommends well thought-out actions by prioritizing, ensuring alignment with stakeholder positions, leveraging specialists, or escalating matters.
- Manages affairs in rapidly changing and ambiguous political, policy, and industry environments.
- Develops strategies for multiple regulatory and/or legislative initiatives by serving as a subject matter expert on regulatory and/or legislative issues to assess their impact on Microsoft goals and objectives; delivers materials (e.g., strategy, policy briefings, other documentation) to internal stakeholders.
Subject Matter Expertise and Influence
- Political astuteness and strong analytical skills. Deep and proven knowledge of teh European/EU political landscape and dynamics across different institutions, political actors, groups/parties etc.
- Develops and implements strategies for leveraging partnerships with external partners and key influencers to advance Microsoft's public policy agenda in several key areas.
- Creatively develop new and strengthen existing campaigns in close collaboration with a team of institutional leads as well as strategic communication teams.
- Clearly explaining complex technical concepts and Microsoft services to policymakers, business decision makers and influencers.
- Develops and/or recommends highly creative solutions for advancing Microsoft policy and/or political agenda, while managing risks and consequences.
- Directs political strategies, provides strategic vision, and develops communication framework and/or messaging in partnership with Communications team for Microsoft by implementing strategies across diverse stakeholders.
- Engaging with and enhancing trusted relationships towards European Union institutions, European governments, regulatory agencies, international organizations and customers in the health & life science eco-system.
- Present company’s policy positions to governments and industry trade groups via written position papers and comments, meetings, briefings, technical exchanges, and via multiplier organizations (e.g. trade and industry associations, patient organizations and Think Tanks, etc.); present at conferences and related opportunities.
- Builds and maintains a strong, ongoing network and coalition with complex governmental and non-governmental stakeholders (e.g., health & life science industry players, trade associations, NGOs, academics and other relevant organizations) to align interests to significantly advance Microsoft's objectives in key priority areas; builds strategic relationships that position Microsoft as a key trusted advisor to targeted political leadership and/or trade/think tank organizations in the region.
- Liaise with a variety of other corporate functions across the company including government affairs, health & life science sales teams, and product groups concerning laws and policy in the health sector.
- Collaborates with, and influences, senior-level internal stakeholders and subject matter experts within and outside of Government Affairs to ensure a mutual understanding and alignment of objectives, priorities, and resources.
- Embody our culture and values
- Bachelor's Degree in political science, law, communications, health business, international relations, public policy, or related field and/or ICT areas with a strong acumen in technology AND experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, or government.
- Relevant senior experience in tech policy (experience in the health sector is a plus);
- In-depth knowledge of EU policymaking procedures and the European political and tech policy landscape.
- English proficiency required; French and other EU language abilities are a plus.
- Experience in developing and managing strategic relationships to advocate and influence public/technology policy priorities.
- Organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstratable examples of business judgment, strategic thinking skills, superior work ethic, attention to detail and quality, able to manage numerous projects simultaneously.
- Motivate and lead others, including on matters where you are not in a position of direct authority.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to devise strategies that advance customers’ and corporate interests, prioritize among competing responsibilities, and devise long-term strategies.
- Familiarity with the potential that health data and AI have to catalyze smarter health care and efficient research.
- Familiarity with data, standards, AI and privacy policies as well as ethical standards in the health sector.
- Ability to communicate complicated legal, business and policy context clearly and succinctly to a variety of different audiences (internal and external) from a diverse set of disciplines (lawyers, project managers, engineers, business executives, government officials, policymakers, academics, reporters) and cultures.
- Proven ability to operate in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment and working on cutting-edge legal and policy matters where ambiguity is the rule rather than the exception.
- Ability and willingness to adapt quickly as the legal, policy, business and factual landscape continues to evolve.
- Independent negotiation and decision-making skills.
- Demonstratable communication skills, with experience in public speaking, writing, and a demonstrated ability to communicate policy issues to the media and the public.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship management, team, and diplomatic skills.
- Minimal travel required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org