Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support the Senior Liaison and Policy Officer (Humanitarian Affairs) to develop the Humanitarian, Peace and Security Unit’s (HPSU’s) annual workplan and to manage and maintain HPSU’s calendar and planning of engagement. Provide counsel, in close coordination with all HPSU members, on strategic objectives, opportunities/priorities for IOM’s engagement, liaison strategies and outreach activities, including with academic institutions, foundations, think-tanks and research institutions in New York.
2. Contribute to the managing IOM’s engagement in humanitarian-related resolution negotiations by developing, in coordination with other HPSU colleagues and DOE, technical inputs and institutional positions to formulate advice for Member States and advocate for the adequate and appropriate reflection of human mobility, displacement and protection-related issues in General Assembly and Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) resolutions.
3. Monitor and keep abreast of Security Council deliberations on matters pertaining to the human rights of migrants and all other thematic or cross-cutting Council agenda items relevant to IOM’s mandate.
4. In close coordination with the Senior Liaison and Policy Officer (Humanitarian Affairs), manage IOM’s institutional strengthening Migration Resource Allocation Committee (MIRAC) project on “EXPANDING IOM’S ENGAGEMENT WITH THE UNITED NATIONS SECURITY COUNCIL”, its deliverables and assigned support staff.
5. Contribute to the coordination of IOM’s engagement in the General Assembly and its committees (particularly the Third Committee) and the relevant segments and commissions of the ECOSOC, including the Commission on the Status of Women.
6. Monitor the activities and agenda of the principal organs of the United Nations, with a specific mandate on Humanitarian affairs, by regularly sharing briefings and updates to ensure timely coordination and advice on necessary follow-up actions.
7. Perform the preparation and dissemination of IOM and, specifically, the Humanitarian, Peace and Security Unit’s (HPSU) internal and external information and communication materials, including keeping the Unit’s webpage up to date.
8. Provide inputs to the relevant reports, including those of the Secretary General, and provide strategic internal guidance on highlighting IOM’s policy and programmatic contributions.
9. Develop, plan and coordinate effective knowledge management practices for HPSU, ensuring that the Unit’s contributions to UNHQ processes or initiatives are recorded and tracked.
10. Prepare, review or provide inputs to the statements, talking points, position papers and other documents and publications, as required.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Law, Political Science, International Relations, Social Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in interfacing with governmental and diplomatic authorities and donors, as well as with both local and international partner institutions and NGOs;
• Experience at an international level with specialized international agencies (United Nations Agencies, International Organizations, and International Non-Government Organizations) is required;
• Experience serving as an institutional liaison, including tracking and reporting on developments and discussions, representing institutional interests, and providing timely reporting to relevant internal stakeholders;
• Experience in organized collaboration and communication with colleagues operating in diverse contexts, across multiple time-zones, and functional areas required; and,
• Experience in complex crisis operations, preparedness and response. Skills
• Familiarity with liaison and outreach strategies at different levels and with a variety of stakeholders;
• In-depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization with special focus on its crisis preparedness and response;
• Familiarity with collection and analysis of information concerning major humanitarian crises, operational overview of responses to natural disasters and conflict situations;
• Familiarity with basic communication/information sharing tools (newsletters, presentations, digital media; and,
• Knowledge of UN and bilateral partners Mission and political agenda. Languages
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese) and advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential. • Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org