Opportunity International was founded in 1971 and exists to bring about a measure of justice, dignity and purpose for families living in poverty. We do this by supporting local micro-finance organizations that provide innovative financial solutions to empower people, create small businesses and build vibrant communities. This year, we are celebrating 50 years of Opportunity.
We serve 12 million hardworking entrepreneurs in 28 countries around the world and have big plans for the world: a world without poverty where people can live with dignity and purpose. Our clients have ambitious dreams for their futures, but lack the opportunities needed to make those dreams a reality.
Opportunity Education Finance (EduFinance) is a nimble, fast-moving, and rapidly expanding core function of Opportunity International’s global footprint. EduFinance aims to get more children into better quality schools. It does this by increasing access to capital for affordable private schools and parents, and by boosting the capacity of school leaders and teachers in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC). It does this in over 25 countries and is growing rapidly.
EDUCATION QUALITY (EDUQUALITY) PROGRAMME
The EduQuality program at Opportunity EduFinance brings together local school owners of approximately 1,700 affordable private schools in a self-improving school system, or network of school clusters. Collaborating with EduFinance financial institution partners lending to these schools, the EduQuality team offers a holistic school development programme, a three-year intervention including the following core components:
- School Leadership Professional Development: Professional development training to senior school leaders with a focus on instructional leadership and management best practices to support the growth of sustainable school businesses.
- Teacher Mentor Professional Development: In-service professional development for teacher mentors with a focus on foundational teacher training, i.e., pedagogy, teaching and learning, and classroom management. Teacher mentors then deliver professional development to their teaching staff at their respective schools.
- Pathways to Excellence: Strategic school improvement planning which begins with a School Self-Assessment where the school owner diagnoses the quality of education at their school using measurable indicators of school quality and then develops a School Development Plan to improve upon areas of greatest need.
We are seeking a collaborative, experienced, and results-driven educationalist with extensive experience in the international development sector to contribute to strategy & operations, data management, research & learning, and field implementation of the EduQuality program as an Education Quality Manager. This core position is a cross-functional and multi-disciplinary role that will support the Global EduQuality Director in achieving expected program outcomes.
The EduQuality program is focused on the professional development of school leaders and teachers in the low-cost private school sector, to build competencies in school management, instructional leadership, and effective teaching and learning. The professional development training is delivered and adapted across multiple countries in Africa, South Asia, and Latin America through a blended learning approach, combining both in-person and digital learning platforms. The in-person training is delivered through a team of local education specialists to school leaders and teachers, complemented with digital content delivered on a customised, low-bandwidth learning management system.
The EduQuality program will expand to 2,200 schools across Africa, South Asia, and Latin America in 2022.
The Education Quality Manager will be based in London, Kampala, Nairobi, or Delhi.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned
Strategy & Communications
- Support the Global EduQuality Director on strategy and design of the EduQuality programme to improve educational outcomes.
- Conduct on-going research into effective programming for school development and disseminate learnings across the team.
- Support the Global EduQuality Director in external communications of the EduQuality program. This will involve relationship development and communications with funders and other implementation partners.
Research & Learning
- Research, evaluate, and recommend potential technical partners for fit and consistency with the EduQuality program’s vision, values, and methodology.
- Coordinate and support data management activities for the EduQuality program, in close collaboration with the Data & Business Intelligence team.
- Based on desk research and M&E data analysis, make recommendations for improvements to program implementation.
- Monitor and check data quality of submissions of Education Specialist field reports that are used to track productivity.
- Use Data & Business Intelligence dashboards to identify specific areas where data is not being submitted by end users and/or is being submitted incorrectly.
- Inform Education Specialists of these identified weak areas so that they can act on improvements.
- Collaborate with the Data & Business Intelligence team manager to improve the quality of dashboards and reports for the EduQuality program, ensuring that they are evolving in line with the program.
Management & Operations
- Support the Global EduQuality Director with the recruitment, onboarding, and management of the EduQuality team, comprising of the content team, project management team, and implementation team across Africa, South Asia, and Latin America. This will also include the recruitment, training, and management of short-term and long-term technical consultants.
- Provide operational and logistical capability to the global EduQuality program.
- Extensive experience living and working within the education sector and school environment in EduFinance countries of operation; preferably the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ghana, India, Kenya, Pakistan, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and/or other similar markets.
- Master’s degree or equivalent, with 7-10 years of relevant experience in international education development, teacher professional development, curriculum design, consulting, organisational development, administrative management, program design, field team management, and educational research.
- Experience playing a key supporting role or directly managing large-scale international educational development programming, working with communities at the bottom of the pyramid.
- Experience building in-person and digitally delivered professional development training for teachers and school leaders in low- and middle-income countries.
- Minimum of 2-3 years as a classroom teacher and solid background as an instructional coach or teacher trainer at pre-primary and primary-level education.
- Technical expertise in one of more areas critically important to the development of education in low-and-middle income countries, i.e., gender/girl’s education, inclusive education, early childhood education, and literacy development in pre-primary and primary school environments.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to make inferences from data and dashboards and to act on those inferences.
- Ability to track user response to inferences made from data
- Ability to deal with large amounts of data, synthesise, and summarise data
- Experience working with and coordinating multi-disciplinary teams across multiple countries and cultures.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously with little oversight, strong attention to detail, and excellent written communication skills.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Opportunity International.
- Professional proficiency, both written and verbal, in English. Applicants must be able to attend and fully participate in business meetings and interactions that are conducted in English.
- Fluency in 1-2 additional languages preferred (French, Spanish, Swahili, Hindi).
Significant travel is required with minimal administrative planning support to countries of programme operations.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Please submit a cover letter and detailed CV. Applications without these requirements will not be considered.