Oxfam is a global organization that fights inequality to end poverty and injustice. We offer lifesaving support in times of crisis and advocate for economic justice, gender equality, and climate action. We demand equal rights and equal treatment so that everyone can thrive, not just survive.
Oxfam America established the Private Sector Department to channel the creativity, resources, and influence of the private sector to fight inequality and poverty. As a rare global development organization with private sector capacity, OA is a leader in corporate campaigning, innovative collaborations, and private sector development that respects human rights and includes the voice of rights holders. We work with partners around the world from workers in the seafood sector in Thailand to healthcare providers in S. Africa. Oxfam America works to make the private sector more equitable in how it treats people, shares profits and power and responds to the climate crisis.
The Manager for Advocacy and Campaigns, Private Sector (Remote) will build, direct, manage and strengthen Oxfam America’s private sector strategy for policy and campaigning and its capacity to engage key US-based private sector actors relevant to Oxfam’s priorities. The Manager for Advocacy and Campaigns, Private Sector will support, manage and supervise PSD advocacy and campaigns staff in cross collaboration with other PSD managers.
This is a remote position and can be done anywhere in the US.
- Supervises, manage, developer and support 2-4 remote Senior Advisors on the Private Sector Team.
- Supervise, coordinate and conduct private sector engagement with campaign targets particularly in food, pharma and tech sector.
- Help build and guide the PSD team, through strategic planning and shared management responsibilities.
- Manage the operational and fiscal activities of supply chain and pharmaceutical campaign support units of the PSD. Together with the Senior Manager for Advocacy, plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the campaign support unit of the department. Coordinate efforts across the PSD team.
- Supervise PSD’s supply chain, labor rights and pharma campaign team staff in accordance with company policies and procedures. Responsible for hiring, training, and coaching employees.
- Build out a strategy for engagement and advocacy of the tech sector, including the development of policy recommendations directed at the sector.
- Ensure gender and racial equity are at the heart of our campaigning strategies and activities.
- Help prepare proposals for funding private sector program activities in collaboration with Resource Development.
Strengthen Oxfam America’s capacity to influence public policy
- Lead strategies for successfully targeting and engaging with private sector actors to support Oxfam’s public policy, legislative, and international treaty agenda.
- Lead efforts with private sector leaders to jointly promote Oxfam’s advocacy priorities in the media, Congress and other public forums.
- Strengthen and build new ties to key private sector constituencies with interest in supporting Oxfam’s domestic and international policy agenda.
- Strengthen Oxfam America’s campaign work relating to private sector engagement
- Lead strategies for successfully targeting and engaging with private sector actors relevant to Oxfam America campaigns.
- Strengthen and expand relationships with key allies and support coalitional efforts in corporate campaigns, including progressive shareholder (SRI) community and NGOs, as well as ties to Oxfam International affiliate private sector teams around CSR and multi-stakeholder initiatives.
- Provide strong analysis and technical guidance on private sector actors and markets.
- Raise Oxfam America’s profile within the corporate accountability movement and private sector forums.
OTHER EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- Work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based, problem-solving work culture in a remote workforce. Performing all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect; be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission and goals.
- Will have an understanding of gender justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender justice and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Within key areas of responsibility, will have a commitment to providing a safe environment for staff, partners, and beneficiaries, and a commitment to promoting safeguarding in our workplace, programs, and the communities we serve.
- Periodic travel up to a maximum of ten weeks per year. Position is remote.
EXPERIENCE & CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Strong management background.
- 5-10 years experience working with senior level executives and private sector actors.
- Experience working within corporate accountability or business and human rights field.
- Demonstrable track record of achieving results in campaigning and/or policy advocacy and policy development, authoring briefs and reports and building successful relations with decision-makers.
- Strong expertise in the international development fields.
- Strong relationship-building skills. Diplomacy, tact and excellent team working.
- Strong understanding of, and experience working with, the US legislative process.
- Law degree.
- Experience working on campaigns and/or legislative initiatives targeting private sector actors.
- Familiarity with specific industries of interest to Oxfam, including: food, agriculture, pharmaceuticals, food retailers and tech.
- Familiarity with policy & campaigning areas of work (i.e., economic justice, climate change, supply chain, access to medicines).
- Proficiency in a second language (Spanish preferred).
- Experience living and working overseas, preferably in developing countries.
- Experience working in remote environment