Job Title: Director of Education
Reports to: Country Director
West African Vocational Schools (www.wavschools.org) is a Christian skills development organization that trains and equips youth in one of the least developed regions in the world. WAVS training centers prepare more than 400 youth for work each year, enabling them to earn a reliable income and provide for their families for the rest of their lives.
The Director of Education will be responsible for managing courses in Computer Literacy and Foreign Languages (English and French) at three training centers in Guinea-Bissau. The Director will oversee the teaching staff and invest in their professional development. The Director will also conduct monitoring and evaluation assessments of students and graduates to identify ways to improve programs and teaching methods, and identify ways to support graduates.
Staff Development & Management
- Establish healthy, trusting relationships with the teaching staff and contribute to an environment that encourages a strong work ethic and results-oriented job performance.
- Ensure that the teaching staff consistently fulfill their responsibilities as outlined in their job descriptions.
- Invest in the professional development of the teaching staff, including by facilitating regular training sessions and demonstrating effective teaching methods.
Program Development & Evaluation
- Periodically assess the effectiveness and relevance of existing curricula to ensure alignment with current labor market practices.
- Survey students to gather data on the effectiveness of current teaching methods and curricula.
- Conduct in-person interviews with graduates to evaluate the effectiveness of programs on post-training outcomes.
Coordinate with U.S. office
- Work with the Country Director and Executive Director to set clearly-defined objectives for WAVS programs every six months within the framework of the organization’s five-year plan.
- Work from the U.S. office in Fresno, California, for up to four weeks each year.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Previous cross-cultural work experience in a developing region, preferably in sub-Sahara Africa, working with development organizations, governments, or in the private sector.
- Relevant previous job experience in a cross-cultural context may include: managed a program related to skills training; taught ESL, French, and/or basic computer literacy; trained teachers and developed curricula; engaged in monitoring & evaluation to improve a specific program.
- Master’s degree in education or a related field is preferred, but not required.
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office products.
- Fluent in English.
- Conversational in French and/or Portuguese (preferred, but not required). Must be willing to learn the Portuguese-based Creole common in Guinea-Bissau.
- A personal faith in Jesus and a desire to share His message of hope with others through words and actions.
- Embraces a mission-first mindset that prioritizes organizational objectives.
- Values consistent and clear communication with all team members.
The Director of Education will be based in Guinea-Bissau for 10 months out of the year and will work from the WAVS office in the United States for up to four weeks each year. WAVS covers all travel costs for employees and provides them with vehicles for in-country transportation.
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Health and retirement benefits
- Housing stipend
- Four weeks of R&R (rest and recovery) every July
- Reimbursement of airfare for one personal trip each year
Please email your application to [email protected]. Candidates are encouraged to include a cover letter and/or introductory message with their application.