This position is in the Office of Public Affairs at the Foreign Service Institute (FSI). The Public Affairs Program Assistant reports to the Public Affairs Director and provides support to the full Public Affairs team. The Public Affairs team seeks to improve the institute’s engagement and facilitate strong communication of how our drive for excellence in foreign affairs training translates into a strong State Department and positive foreign policy outcomes for the United States.
The Public Affairs Program Assistant provides support on FSI projects and programs related to the areas of outreach, communications, social media, web and congressional affairs. This includes contact development and management, research, and providing support for event and meeting planning and logistics, including for the office’s flagship Heroes of U.S. Diplomacy program. The Program Assistant will provide public affairs support for the office through graphic design and production of outreach and digital materials, providing updates to the external facing FSI webpage, monitoring press, and social media related to the institute, and responding to managing office written and oral correspondence. The Program Assistant will also coordinate foreign delegation meeting requests, including delegating meeting duties to other FSI components, coordinating with the Director’s Office, organizing campus tours, managing logistics and drafting related memos, scenarios and readouts. The Program Assistant will provide administrative support to include electronic and hard copy file management, supply ordering, budget tracking, vetting and research related to external engagement, media relations, Congressional relations and public-private-partnerships.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Public Affairs team to expand and organize FSI contacts and contact management database and support electronic and in-person engagement with FSI stakeholders and partners.
- Utilize technology and relevant software to produce outreach materials such as presentations, flyers, newsletters, infographics, handouts, etc. as requested.
- Draft memos, meeting notes, summaries, emails or other communications with key stakeholders.
- Monitor the Public Affairs and Heroes of U.S. Diplomacy inboxes and respond/direct responses to relevant offices.
- As requested, or on own initiative, make careful and exhaustive searches for information that is difficult to obtain, compiles information, and makes preliminary analysis.
- Initiate contact and organizes appointments with potential contacts and/or vendors as needed, including in support of Office of Public Affairs management and the management of foreign delegation visits.
- Post resources to FSI SharePoint, intranet and website and ensure materials are up to date.
- Supports organization of public affairs related documents, budgets and files.
- Establish and maintain project and event- specific documentation, electronic and hard copy that are needed to assist in the efficient operation of the public affairs team. Utilize project management tools and processes to ensure the team stays on track and to deadline on multiple simultaneously running projects and initiatives. Track and analyze data on projects and responses over time.
- Provide clearance, logistical, research, coordinative, content, and organizational support to media, social media, Congressional, public-private-partnership and initiative-specific tasks.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Program Support
- Contact Management
- Project specific database tracking and internet research
- SharePoint/website management
- Clearance Support
- Budget Tracking and Management
- Office Management
- File Management
- Correspondence and Paper Clearance and Management Support
- Meeting and Event Management
- Social Media Management Back-up Support
- High School Diploma
- Three years of experience in a related field
- Secret clearance
- Bachelor’s Degree highly preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and electronically
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with a high level of competence and with great attention to detail.
- Strong digital literacy skills and a proven track record utilizing databases and tracking data.
- Previous work experience related to communications, outreach or public affairs desired.
- Previous track record of success executing administrative duties in a professional setting desired.
- Proven track record of ability to exercise good judgement in a professional setting.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with a high level of competence and with great attention to detail. Personality that will thrive in a fast-paced and high-exposure office. Comfort working with senior-level officials desirable.
- Proactive and diligent work ethic. Ability to think through a task/assignment and relate to bigger picture. Ability to see where they can add/offer value.
- Experience using Microsoft Office suite of programs including professional experience working with Excel, Outlook
- Experience using Adobe Lightroom, Salesforce, Word Press and Hootsuite highly useful
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org