The Good Food Institute is a nonprofit think tank working to make the global food system better for the planet, people, and animals. Alongside scientists, businesses, and policymakers, GFI’s teams focus on making plant-based and cultivated meat delicious, affordable, and accessible. Powered by philanthropy, GFI is an international network of organizations advancing alternative proteins as an essential solution needed to meet the world’s climate, global health, food security, and biodiversity goals.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will lead GFI’s engagement with corporate food manufacturers and ingredient companies to accelerate the shift towards alternative proteins. The Corporate Engagement Manager will be responsible for:
- Serving as the primary point of contact for food manufacturers and ingredient companies, liaising with GFI staff and our network as needed to effectively engage and influence these companies to increase their sales of, and commitment to, alternative proteins.
- Analyzing the relevant competitive landscape and related market data to identify opportunities and inform strategic initiatives for GFI’s engagement with these audiences.
- Developing and documenting an annual strategy for engagement, including identifying priority companies, overarching sector initiatives, communication and event vehicles, and open-source resources.
- Building relationships, delivering presentations, and providing education to these audiences to help them develop and execute against goals to grow their alternative proteins business.
- Developing strategic partnerships with other stakeholders to accelerate the participation of companies selling and distributing food within the alternative protein ecosystem.
- Supporting multinational engagement efforts as needed for partners at GFI’s international affiliates in Brazil, Europe, Israel, and Asia, and also where a GFI affiliate is not present.
- Working with the Investor Engagement Specialist both to identify possible financial opportunities (broadly, not for specific companies) for these audiences beyond just direct sales (e.g. partnerships, investments, etc.) and to determine how to leverage ESG investor needs to increase company commitments to alternative proteins.
- Supporting GFI’s LINC community to bring companies across the value chain together to foster collaborations that remove barriers to growth and help the industry scale, including identifying opportunities to ensure the community is benefiting from and serving these audiences.
- Representing GFI at industry conferences and events to educate these audiences and promote the industry through drafting blog posts and media interviews.
- Conducting surveys and using other research methods to evaluate GFI’s sales and distribution focused corporate engagement services and to inform future prioritization.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
The Corporate Engagement Manager must have:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (MBA or equivalent experience preferred).
- At least four years of relevant experience working in or directly alongside food & beverage CPG (consumer packaged goods) companies; brand management, sales, or operations experience at a CPG company preferred.
- Demonstrated passion and interest in the alternative protein industry; existing industry knowledge preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of how the packaged food industry operates across the value chain.
- Strong analytical, writing, and presentation skills.
- A demonstrated strong work ethic, a high degree of self-motivation, and intellectual curiosity.
- Persuasive and engaging interpersonal skills; the ability to build effective working relationships with entrepreneurs, founders, investors, and company executives.
- Ability to work independently and use sound judgment in decision making, including setting and managing priorities and meeting competing deadlines.
- Ability to travel on a regular basis.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and to nurturing this on your team and throughout GFI.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in plant based & other alt proteins, public health, environmentalism, climate change, animal protection, or hunger relief.
- A commitment to GFI’s values: believe change is possible, do the most good we can, share knowledge freely, act on evidence, and invite everyone to the table.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We are testing a third-party anonymizing tool to redact personal information from submitted applications — including name, location, contact details, and several other factors — to reduce bias and increase fairness in our process. We strongly encourage people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
Research indicates that men tend to apply for jobs when they meet just 60% of the criteria, while women and people from other marginalized groups only apply if they are a 100% match. If you are passionate about GFI’s mission and think you have what it takes to be successful in this role even if you don’t check all the boxes, please apply. We’d appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Director of Corporate Engagement
- Location: Remote; United States
- Travel: Regular travel is required for this role; up to 1.5 trips per month and up to two weeks per year for company retreats.
- Benefits: Working from home, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues. More information here: https://tinyurl.com/GFIBenefits.
- This is a U.S.-based position: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- COVID vaccination policy: GFI requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be requested before the start of employment. GFI will consider requests for accommodations or exemptions from this policy on a case by case basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
- Salary: $86,000-$90,000 (depending on experience and qualifications) if hired before December 31 with a cost of living adjustment of 8.7% taking effect with the first pay period in 2023. If hired after December 31, the starting salary range for this role is $93,482 to $97,830 (with the 8.7% cost of living adjustment built in).
Application Deadline: December 6, 2022
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org