We are looking for an experienced Desk/Line Editor. The incumbent works directly with producers and journalists to control production on their Line – and has end-to-end responsibility from planning to editing and publishing/airing of content.
S/He ensures broadcast service receives timely, relevant, high quality content/stories/packages that meet company’s ethical guidelines and mission. Line Editor monitors broadcast area, regional and international agenda and uses various web/social media analytic tools to make decisions on content planning. The incumbent communicates and coordinates with editorial colleagues within RFE/RL and other colleagues on editorial and production related issues.
This position is located in Prague, the applicants are expected to work in RFE/RL Prague’s office with possibility of remote work within Czech Republic. This position will also require often travels to Azerbaijan.
Main responsibilities of position
- Weekly and daily planning of content in accordance with company and service’s strategy and relevant agenda for broadcast region
- Control all editorial and production aspects of content produced in Line/Desk, ensures quality and deadlines, that relevant content is featuring on time in all our platforms.
- Continuously providing feedback on content to journalists and mentoring team members, raises training needs and takes part in trainings if necessary
- Use Web/Social Media analytics tools for planning content and evaluating engagement performance.
- Update’s assignments file and planning agenda.
- Daily and Weekly planning meetings, to discuss and plan coverage and all elements of production, setting agenda and assignments
- Edits and oversees content production, ensures that content meets the highest journalistic standard
- Works with other Line Editors
- Controls and ensures the timely distribution of the program and its segments on all social media platforms.
- Covers/replace other editors
- If needed, fulfils other assignments as a journalist, including field reporting, interviewing, presenting etc.
- Be proactive in developing and maintaining strong working relationships with RFE/RL Language Services, Central News room and Current Time.
- Keep up with world news and developments in RFE/RL broadcast region, including monitoring a variety of media outlets.
- Deputize for chief editor in charge.
- MA degree in journalism, communications, or related field post-secondary community college, or the equivalent in experience.
- Experience as a reporter/editor 5-8 years (Mandatory)
- Grounding in web production and editing and in use of Pangea (Mandatory)
- Solid grounding in multimedia journalism, TV experience in news media, or a related field or its equivalent (Mandatory)
- Thorough knowledge of the RFE/RL regional coverage area (Mandatory).
- Strong news judgement with ability to prioritize stories and deadlines.
- With minimal supervision, organizes delivery of quality products that demonstrate commitment to journalistic impartiality and accuracy.
- Strong reporting and video production skills
- Ability to condense longer stories into brief items.
- Good news judgment and ability to prioritize stories and deadlines.
- Must be proficient in standards of Ethical Journalism,
- Strong awareness of legal risks and dangers.
- Ability to work various shifts, as assigned and on short notice.
- In addition to working regular shifts is expected to be available during important, breaking news events, and work as assigned by a supervisory editor.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with various journalists and editors.
- Proactive, can do attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills, team player to work effective with individual across the organization
- Good organizational skills to plan for new coverage and meet all deadlines and work under pressure
- Proficiency in Azerbaijani language
- Excellent English language skills
- Proficiency in Russian language
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org