Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located within the CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear) Risk Mitigation and Security Governance unit of the United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI) in Turin, Italy.
The Programme Officer heading the Nuclear Security Programme will work under the overall authority of the Director, with a direct reporting line to the Senior Programme Officer (Deputy-Director) and with the Head of the CBRN unit as an additional supervisor.
Within assigned authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the implementation of the projects related to the topics of intelligence-led operations to combat radiological and nuclear (RN) trafficking and terrorism as well as CBRN proliferation financing (PF) risks. The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develop, implement and evaluate projects related to the topics of intelligence-led operations to combat RN trafficking and terrorism as well as CBRN PF risks;
- Lead the establishment and running of sustainable training projects; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaise with relevant partners and donors; ensure follow-up actions;
- Perform consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning and facilitating workshops through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing action plans;
- Coordinate the methodology for train-the-trainers and national trainings;
- Research, analyze and present information gathered from diverse sources. Organize and prepare various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
- Provide substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., by proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparing documents and presentations, etc.;
- Undertake outreach activities; liaise with International Organizations; conduct training workshops, seminars, etc.; make presentations to enhance the visibility of UNICRI;
- Lead and/or participate in large, complex field missions, including providing guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties, drafting mission summaries, etc.;
- Develop work plans and budgets, monitor programme performance and expenditure, prepare programme related reports; coordinate activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepare related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
- Manage, guide, develop and train staff under his/her supervision;
- Initiate and coordinate the development of sustainability plans;
- Collect and analyze data, including evidence, to identify trends or patterns and provide insights to enable data- or evidence-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting;
- Perform other work-related duties as required.
- Professionalism: Has knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches related to terrorism and CBRN risk mitigation; is able to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Is able to conduct data collection using various methods. Has ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and to convey resulting information to management effectively Demonstrates conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Has ability to apply judgment in the context of given assignments, planning work and managing conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect personal position; shares credit for team's accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team's shortcomings;
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in criminology, law, international relations, political science or other relevant discipline is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional experience in project or programme management is required;
- At least two (2) years of experience in the substantive area of combatting radiological and nuclear (RN) trafficking and terrorism are required;
- Experience in coordinating the design and delivery of train-the-trainers programmes is desirable;
- Experience in managing projects related to CBRN counter proliferation financing is desirable;
- Experience in analysis of data or evidence or related area is desirable;
- Work experience within the United Nations system or similar international organizations is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org