Duration: August – January 2023 (6 months)
Project: Strengthening resilience of vulnerable refugee and IDP women impacted by crises, displacement, and disasters due to climate change and exacerbated food insecurity in Erbil.
About us: Mercy Hands for Humanitarian Aid (MH) is a non-governmental, not-for-profit, non-partisan organization that works in conflict torn and disaster affected areas to save lives, sustain human rights and restore a healthy community. Mercy Hands has implemented since 2005 protection interventions in Iraq for both children and youth with a gender sensitive approach, addressing both emergency and development needs, and fostering sustainable development pathways.
About the role: The Field Coordinator will assist in the implementation of the project “Strengthening resilience of vulnerable refugee and IDP women impacted by crises, displacement, and disasters due to climate change and exacerbated food insecurity in Erbil”, in partnership with UN Women.
Mercy Hands will target vulnerable women (IDPs, returnees and refugees) in Erbil (Khabat, Bnaslawa, Daratoo, Qushtapa districts) through agricultural training on innovative farming techniques (i.e. hydroponic systems) and asset distribution, to improve their economic conditions, through entrepreneurial training and tutorship for female beneficiaries, through grassroots mobilisation to advance dialogue on women’s engagement in climate action. With the project, Mercy Hands will support vulnerable women in building adaptive capacities to environmental shocks and help them meet their needs in the shorter and longer term.
The Field Coordinator will facilitate the implementation of project activities and will be based in MH Field Office in Erbil. He/She will be the main point of contact for project field staff (i.e. staff working in the Women’s Empowerment Centres) and will report directly to the Project Manager. He/She will also support with logistics, procurement and financial accountability activities.
Responsibilities: The Field Coordinator’s duties include:
· Support the project staff in identifying suitable locations for 4 women’s empowerment centres, which will be the main location for project activities.
· Supervise the 4 centre managers and ensure centre activities are conducted in a timely and effective manner.
· Support with recruitment of activities’ staff (i.e. trainers, experts, facilitators and community mobilisers).
· Support the project staff in coordinating with local authorities (Department of Migration and Displacement, Department of Women’s Affairs, Department of Labour) and community leaders.
· Support the implementation of the activities taking place in the 4 women’s empowerment centres, namely:
- Organise 8 training sessions on hydroponic system, for a total of 480 female participants.
- Organise 1 one-day training on hydroponic system, for 50 female participants.
- Organise 4-months bi-weekly course on business development for 640 female beneficiaries.
- Establish a tutorship system to provide individual tutorship sessions to 400 women.
- Establish 4 female-led community committees and Supervise organisation of their bi-monthly meetings.
- Organise 20 public awareness raising events on gender, climate change and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) for a total of 2.000 male attendees (5 events per centre, over 5 months).
- Organise 20 community dialogues for male representatives of the community, for a total of 500 male attendees (5 community dialogues per centre, over 5 months).
· With the project staff, Overseeing the distribution of 470 aquaponic systems and 50 hydroponic systems.
- Experience in staff management;
- Experience working with NGOs in Erbil;
- Experience in coordinating with local authorities;
- Knowledge of Arabic and English;
- Ability to travel (within Erbil governorate);
- Experience and/or interest in Green Economy, Agriculture Tech (hydroponic farming);
- Good knowledge of IT communication tools;
- Immediate availability.
Send your CV and Letter of Intention via e-mail with the subject field stating: Field Coordinator in Erbil Application.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Mercy Hands is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their gender, ethnic, or religious background. However, because this is a women project, women applicants will be preferred.
Mercy Hands is an equal pay employer. At Mercy Hands, women and men receive equal pay if they perform equal work in the same workplace.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org