Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), the Division for Sustainable Development Goals (DSDG), in the Natural Resources and Interlinkages Branch (NRIB). The Senior Programme Management Officer reports to the Chief of Branch.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Takes the lead to develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes/projects, notably related to the implementation of the Water Action Decade 2018-2028 and the follow-up to the United Nations Conference on the Midterm Comprehensive Review of the Implementation of the Objectives of the International Decade for Action “Water for Sustainable Development,” 2018-2028 by Member States and other relevant stakeholders, including the facilitation of information sharing; directs the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
- Coordinates regular review and analysis of the voluntary commitments in the Water Action Agenda; supports the registration of new commitments and follow-up on existing ones and ensures that the website stays current;
- Coordinates policy development with respect to sustainable water management and climate change; including on issues related to the integration of disaster risk reduction and climate change strategies; reviews the assessments of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or research activities and studies;
- Coordinates substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., notably to the High-Level Political Forum for Sustainable Development and conferences related to the review of progress made with the implementation of the Water Action Decade, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, etc., makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.;
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding of the trust fund on disaster risk reduction and water (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and ensures preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
- Serves as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization;
- May perform other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks related to water and sanitation, and disaster risk reduction; Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the programme area Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Vision: Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks; clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals; generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction; conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities;
- Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in sustainable development, economics, public policy, public administration, natural resources management, environment engineering business administration, management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required;
- Experience in policy-oriented work in a broad range of sustainable development issues, with a focus on Sustainable Development Goals on Water and Sanitation and Disaster Risk Reduction in an international setting, is required;
- Experience with intergovernmental processes is desirable;
- Experience in planning and organization of global meetings on the issue on water, sanitation and disaster-related matters is desirable;
- Experience in government and/or international organization is desirable.
- English or French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable. Fluency in Japanese will be considered an asset.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org