- Band: E
- Contract: Continuing (Permanent)
- Location: Belfast Broadcasting House
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in the UK.
This is a key role in the BBC News Ireland Bureau reporting to the Newsgathering and Network Editor for Northern Ireland. We’re looking for an authoritative and talented experienced journalist to bring their own flair and in depth analysis to an important role which helps BBC News reflect stories from across Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland to as wide an audience as possible. The successful candidate will be a creative thinker who can simplify complex narratives and provide engaging content for all our audiences across all platforms. As part of the UK News Content team, you will particularly focus on identifying stories which connect with underserved audiences. You will write fresh and engaging digital content, file for rolling live pages, and be a confident on-air performer on both TV and Radio, able to handle complex editorial issues and treat stories with creativity and objectivity. You’ll be a self-starter who is able to generate original stories and also have a thorough knowledge of current affairs in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and the UK.
The Ireland Correspondent role will include providing original stories for all outlets, including those who consume their news in the digital world, and help make the digital offer on BBC News a primary source of news for people who do not normally connect with the BBC on other platforms. It will also involve working flexibly according to a fast moving and unpredictable news agenda.
Main Duties :
- Bringing forward exclusive story ideas and treatments aimed at digital platforms as well as TV and radio audiences.
- Writing engaging copy for use on digital, including writing for live pages, as well as TV, and Radio.
- Deliver quality live broadcasting across all platforms.
- Establish strong relationships with Editors across all output and advise on stories and issues.
- Working with Ireland Bureau team on breaking and diary stories and providing coverage across all our output.
- To keep well informed on current affairs across the landscape with a focus on Northern Ireland, Westminster, and the Republic of Ireland.
- Support the rest of the team in the Bureau and at all times maintain journalistic, ethical and technical standards.
- To travel for breaking news and commissioned stories as and when necessary.
- Deliver content that meets the required professional standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing, adhering to BBC Editorial Guidelines.
Are you the right candidate
- A thorough knowledge of current affairs in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and across the UK.
- A creative thinker with experience of bringing in original stories while able to respond quickly and confidently to breaking news.
- A proven track record in delivering original stories across all platforms with a digital first focus.
- Ability to pitch stories and ensure a co-ordinated and smooth rollout across BBC News.
- The highest standards of writing and a strong and authoritative on-air voice and presence on both TV and radio.
- Strong contacts in social, economic, and political affairs in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
- Experience of working independently in the field and handling complex editorial and legal issues.
- A passion for digital storytelling and an instinctive understanding of how audiences behave online.
- An enthusiasm for using new technologies in Newsgathering.
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to build relationships and influence across all levels, both internal and external.
- Able to make decisions in a pressurised environment
- Values other people and helps create a culture that’s diverse and inclusive
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org