To deliver against the above, the Country Office is seeking a Social Protection Programme Policy Officer (P4) to design and manage its portfolio of social protection activities (strengthening the national social protection system architecture, support enhancements to the quantity and quality of national social protection programming, improve the effectiveness of social protection in the shared space between humanitarian, development and peace actors, and build social protection partnerships and evidence globally).
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Formulate substantial parts of WFP-wide programme policies in line with both organisational strategy and the practical realities of operating in the field; or translate WFP-wide programme policy into Regional/Country level practices, programme guidance and implementation modalities and operations, to ensure a clear and strong connection between HQ and field operations;
- Provide advice and support to COs delivering a complex portfolio of programmes to clarify ambiguities and ensure that policy and programme operations are consistent with WFP policies, Executive Board decisions, and other relevant guidance;
- Provide technical advice or mobilise technical expertise, on a wide range of programme and policy issues including assessment and analysis, the choice of objectives, activities, transfer modalities and appropriate food products, the deployment and testing of innovative approaches and the development of strategies to support government efforts to reduce hunger and malnutrition;
- Assist senior stakeholders of governments and other partners in identifying where food assistance can be usefully employed and provide support and technical expertise for the planning, formulation and implementation of food assistance programmes to strengthen government and community ownership and effectiveness of food security and nutrition programmes at national and sub-national levels;
- Develop operational partnerships and maintain established strategic partnerships to identify opportunities for collaborative approaches and initiatives that improve assistance packages and support advocacy work;
- Enhance WFP’s leadership status in different forums on subjects related to food security, nutrition, livelihoods, resilience, engagement in humanitarian, transition and development contexts and other related issues through direct participation, briefings, information products and other materials;
- Manage or oversee operational research and evidence building on issues relevant to food assistance;
- Manage or oversee preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports, publications, and a variety of information products or proposals for internal or external use;
- Advocate for resources for a broad portfolio of WFP projects, including clearly articulating the need for food assistance and related programme opportunities, and follow up on the resource situation of projects including commodity and cash availability;
- Advice and support the development of functional training in areas of expertise to enhance the capacity of WFP staff and partner to design and deliver effective food assistance programmes;
- Lead, motivate and develop a substantive team to enable high performance;
- Ensure the best use of assigned financial resources for achievement of set objectives within a significant budget;
- Take responsibility for an equitable and inclusive workplace which incorporates all dimensions of the WFP diversity and inclusion framework;
- Contribute to Country Office Emergency Preparedness i.e. early warning, risk analysis, and contingency planning in order to respond to humanitarian crises and needs;
- Other as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- At least 8 years of professional experience in in policy formulation, programme design and implementation in emergency and development contexts, with a focus on social protection
- Fluency (level C) in English language;
- Fluency (level C) in French language.
MORE ABOUT YOU
- Has worked in a Country Office or equivalent level position within technical area;
- Has managed discussions with experts in VAM/Nutritionists;
- Has led a country/are office programme team or a substantial component of a complex programme;
- Has gained direct experience of different programme approaches;
- Has worked with government agencies and gained policy experience;
- Has led team in strategic discussions;
- Has worked in HQ or a Regional Bureau.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org