The Global Campaign for Education-US (GCE-US) is looking for a visionary leader to support and grow the influence, expertise, and impact of GCE-US. The Executive Director will work closely with the GCE-US Board of Directors, coalition members, staff, student fellows, youth, teachers, advocates, volunteers, technical experts, and partners to advance GCE-US’s agenda with key decision-makers to achieve coalition strategy on global education with policymakers and continue to build a resilient and collaborative GCE-US coalition.
Organization and Management:
- Grow the funding base for GCE-US and manage funder relationships
- Drive the strategic plan strategic plan reviews and updates, in consultation with the Board of Directors, staff and coalition
- Manage budget and oversee reporting to the Board of Directors and funders
- Supervise staff, student fellows, consultants, contractors, and organizational volunteers
- Act as the GCE-US liaison with the Global Campaign for Education Secretariat in Johannesburg as well as with other GCE Coalitions around the world
Coalition and Movement Building:
- Expand the reach and influence of GCE-US coalition and build the membership
- Facilitate coalition meetings, partnership convenings, and engagement
- Leverage coalition member work to reach new audience and shared advocacy goals
- Represent GCE-US at national and international meetings, conferences and public events
- Develop and maintain collaborations with partner organizations to maximize advocacy outreach
Policy Advocacy and Strategy Management:
- Lead overall vision and strategy for GCE-US
- Work with GCE-US partners to stay abreast of developments in international education policy, synthesize policy information and provide analysis on opportunities in international education policy and advocacy
- Build relationships with key policymakers and partners to reach coalition policy and advocacy goals
- Lead the process of drafting policy and opinion briefs in consultation with the Board of Directors, staff, coalition members, and partners
- Advise and inform the Board of Directors, coalition members, policymakers, and key partners of policy recommendations and developments
- Increase the influence of GCE-US through strategic communications planning, strategy, and implementation
- Organize events to raise the profile of education for all with policymakers and key stakeholders
- Ensure the publication of politically relevant media coverage, communications, social media, and mobilization tools for global education and GCE-US
- Manage relationships with relevant journalists and media and communications outlets
- Track record of success in developing and managing national advocacy campaigns, coalitions or networks; fundraising; donor reporting; financial and budget management; event management/convening; and/or leading teams
- People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ populations, and candidates representing historically marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply
- 6-8+ years related experience in nonprofit, education, association, government, international or related sectors
- Bachelor’s degree. Relevant advanced degree a plus.
- Adept at oral communication, political analysis, writing, and relationship building
- Strong interpersonal and management skills, and ability to work and learn effectively in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Ability to motivate and engage staff and individuals from diverse coalition member organizations and partners
- Only applicants legally eligible to work in the United States should apply, as GCE-US is not able to process work permits for applicants
- Experience working or volunteering with policymakers, nonprofit, advocacy, international organizations and/or coalitions, partnerships, or networks
- Deep understanding of global education policy and/or international development
- Knowledge of inclusive education, early childhood care and education, girls’ education, decreasing school-related gender-based violence, education in emergencies, and related topics
- Expertise in legislative and appropriations advocacy, global education finance, and/or multilateral and bilateral agencies investing in education including the Global Partnership for Education, World Bank, USAID, Education Cannot Wait, UNICEF, United Nations actors, and their decision-making processes
- Please note if you have experience with Microsoft Office 365 applications (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, Planner), Dropbox, Google Documents, Google Groups, Zoom, running remote/hybrid meetings, WordPress website management, graphic design, Canva, Sprout Social, X, Facebook/Meta, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google Ads and Analytics, Salsa Labs and CRM, or other relevant technology tools.
Location: Prefer candidates based in the Washington, DC metro area. Organization has worked remotely since Covid, with occasional in person and hybrid engagement. Over the past year, current team members have been located in DC, Maryland, Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Texas.
Start Date: As soon as possible. Please apply ASAP and indicate when you would be available to start.
The Global Campaign for Education-US (GCE-US) is a coalition of national and community-based organizations, international organizations, teacher unions, faith-based groups, and advocates dedicated to ensuring quality, inclusive, universal education for all children and youth. GCE-US's mission is to promote education as a basic human right and mobilize to create political will in the United States and internationally to ensure quality, inclusive, universal education, which is at the core of all human development. GCE-US is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC (with a small team working virtually and in the Washington, DC metro area). GCE-US is the US member of the Global Campaign for Education based in Johannesburg, South Africa, and a part of a global network with organizations in over 100 countries.
Open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. GCE-US is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better accomplish our mission. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
To apply: Please send your resume ASAP to: [email protected]
Please include the following information in your email message to [email protected] that accompanies your resume:
a. Why do you want to work in this role and how would you approach this work?
b. Indicate if you are legally authorized to work in the United States.
c. Your salary rate/pay expectation, location, and availability.
d. How did you hear about this opportunity?
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org