Org. Setting and Reporting
The objective of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) is to combat desertification and mitigate the effects of drought in countries experiencing serious drought and/or desertification around the world, particularly in Africa, through effective action at all levels, supported by international cooperation and partnership arrangements.
The UNCCD has adopted a multi-stakeholder approach for maximum effectiveness in combating land degradation and desertification. Results-based planning and targeted implementation supported by productive partnerships, effective resource mobilization and alignment of fundraising efforts lead to successful action to address desertification, land degradation and drought. Investments in the UNCCD help to facilitate policy reform, leverage larger investments and initiate change at the national level. Better land management has flow-on benefits to other sectors, such as producing social equality and reinforcing national economies.
This position is located in the Global Policy and Regional Cooperation unit (GPARC) of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) and its Regional Liaison Office in Africa (Rabat, Morocco).
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of GPARC and direct supervision of the Regional Liaison Officer for Africa, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- With a view to the forthcoming COP 16, works with Eastern and Southern African countries and mobilizes key stakeholders to facilitate the implementation and evaluation of the UNCCD Secretariat and GM LDN supported activities, including monitoring, analyzing and reporting on specific aspects of program/project development and implementation; Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies;
- Assists the Regional Liaison Officer for Africa in the provision of substantive support to country Parties in capacity building activities, particularly in Eastern or Southern Africa, by identifying capacity building needs at national and sub regional levels, in consultation with relevant stakeholders in the region;
- Facilitates various activities addressing capacity-building needs at sub regional and national levels, in coordination with relevant agencies and IGO and implementation of partnership agreements with national and sub regional organizations, including participation in relevant national, sub regional and regional events/meetings in Eastern or Southern African Sub-regions;
- Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics;
- Support the NFPs effectively in all the processes and implement the various recommendations and decisions resulting from COP 15, the follow-up to the Convention's priority action strategy in the region and participates in missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection;
- Drafts and contributes to various written outputs, eg. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, press releases etc. and activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.);
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Performs any other job-related activity required to achieve the goals and objectives of the unit, sub-unit, program or the secretariat.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the implementation of the Rio Conventions. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Problem solving skills; Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in environment, economics, agriculture, international relations, development or related fields is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in management, development activities, environment or related area, particularly in the Southern or Eastern African sub regions (SADC and IGAD countries) is required;
- Good understanding of UNCCD issues and priorities in the region, particularly in Eastern and Southern Africa is desirable;
- Experience working in an international environment is desirable.
- For the post advertised fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Arabic language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org