Harvard Public Health, a magazine of impact journalism for public health , is seeking a creative, motivated, and versatile senior editor to join its team of journalists.
Harvard Public Health is an independent digital editorial voice published by Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health. We publish stories and commentary on bold ideas for public health, with a focus on what works, what doesn’t, and why. We also publish a newsletter for a global audience of public health officials, activists, policy makers, researchers, clinicians, and more.
We are looking for an editor with experience editing opinion journalism and commentary and who is comfortable working with a variety of writers and voices. The best candidates will have a network of contributors with provocative and powerful things to say about public health advances. The senior editor will also be expected recruit scientists, policymakers, and others and work with them to shape compelling opinion essays that resonate with the diverse audiences that care about public health. The senior editor will also oversee our weekly newsletter. The ideal candidate will be well-organized, fluent in AP and/or Chicago style, deadline-oriented, collaborative, and ambitious.
The position will likely report to the magazine’s managing editor.
Additional duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop compelling ideas for opinion pieces and occasional news features, in conjunction with the editor-in-chief and managing editor; identify and recruit writers; build relationships with researchers, officials, policymakers, and others with new ideas about public health from across the breadth of the field.
- Manage the workflow for opinion pieces and selected features from commissioning through publication, including editing and proofreading pieces, working with the creative team on art ideas, and crafting outstanding headlines both for print and for SEO.
- Work with the rest of the magazine team on producing and promoting stories across HSPH’s platforms and syndication efforts.
- Oversee the content of the Harvard Public Health Weekly newsletter and assist with the magazine’s separate LinkedIn newsletter as needed.
- Become conversant with our WordPress back end, to post and edit stories on harvardpublichealth.org.
- Stay abreast of major issues in public health and ongoing developments.
- Perform other duties as assigned
PLEASE NOTE: All applicants are required to submit a resume and cover letter. Shortlisted applicants will be required to submit samples of writing or editing. Applications submitted without these materials will not be considered. If you are enclosing stories you have edited, please add a paragraph on top of each that explains your role in shaping the story.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- 7+ years related work experience required
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following job-specific skills and competencies are preferred:
- Experience with WordPress or similar content management system
- Strong news judgment and a background in journalistic editing and/or writing, preferably with experience in opinion or editorial writing or editing in health, policy, or science-oriented topics; proficiency in AP style
- Curiosity about and experience with interpreting peer-reviewed research, including basic science
- Manage multiple projects to ensure timely production of content under the pressure of last-minute deadlines and changing priorities
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills
- Experience and aptitude to work both highly collaboratively and independently, as responsibilities requir
The following cultural competencies are also preferred:
- Awareness of and aptitude to appropriately and effectively understand, respect, and adapt to cultural and identity-based difference within group environments
- Knowledge of and commitment to concepts and issues tied to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Skills related to creating and supporting an environment that allows for inclusion, effective intercultural engagement, and personal humility and authenticity
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org