The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and journalists to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, business advocacy, democratic governance, and anti-corruption & ethics.
Scope: The Staff Writer and Editorial Content Specialist will report to the Communications Director and work under the direct supervision of the Senior Communications Manager. He/She is primarily responsible for developing a wide range of written material that presents CIPE and its expertise to external audiences. The position is also responsible for pitching content for earned media placement both online and in print, collaborating with the Communications team and other departments to improve and expand CIPE’s relationships with members of the media, and providing general editorial support to the organization. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
- Create and manage a content development strategy for written material that demonstrates CIPE’s expertise and thought leadership in the area of democratic and economic development. The written material will cover an array of formats to include articles, op-eds, interviews, speeches, talking points, publications, blog articles, brochures, flyers, newsletters, and technical reports.
- Work closely with CIPE regional teams to identify story ideas and issues of interest to external audiences, and to draft content or give guidance to regional staff. Develop positive and productive relationships with internal and external colleagues to encourage content production.
- Develop a media strategy for earning placement of pitched articles, op-eds, and blog pieces in the media; increase visibility of CIPE among relevant media, and pitch content.
- Manage the CIPE Development Blog:
- Identify blog topics and solicit blogs from staff and guest writers;
- Edit blog submissions and post to the CIPE website in a timely manner, maintaining a posting rate of 3 - 4 blogs per week;
- Identify opportunities for cross-posting CIPE content on other platforms and blog and vice versa;
- Seek opportunities to increase visitors to the blog.
- Coordinate and manage CIPE publications and outreach materials including the monthly Board report, the OverseasREPORT outreach newsletter, guidebooks, and other publications; work with vendors and staff to produce publications; draft content for the CIPE Annual Report, website, and flyers and brochures.
- Draft speeches and talking points for senior management participation at CIPE events and external events both in the U.S. and overseas.
- Perform the role of CIPE editor; provide support to staff to proofread CIPE written materials as required. Revise and maintain the organizational style guide.
- Act as CIPE liaison with publication vendors, including copy editors and printers.
- Working with the Communications & Digital Content Coordinator, supervise, develop, and manage interns as required.
- Other duties as required. The Communications Team is small and all members are required to assist with a wide range of activities outside of direct scope of responsibilities depending on organizational priorities.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, economics, journalism, or related field
- Minimum five years professional experience and a proven record of developing high-quality and timely written content
- Experience in journalism, Capitol Hill press office, or speech writing preferred
- Exceptional English writing and analytical skills; proven ability to develop compelling and engaging materials for external audiences including policymakers, media, government, NGOs, and private sector audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain media contacts and pitch material to the media for earned placement
- Strong attention to detail and ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Highly developed aptitude to communicate policy issues to a more general audience
- Ability to work independently and display initiative with minimum supervision
- Ability to make a consistently positive contribution in a team environment
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with all levels of staff and management
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a diverse and cross cultural environment
- Ability to bring new ideas and innovations to the Communications Team and development them independently or as a team, as necessary
- Proficiency in HTML, WordPress CMS, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Creative Suite and/or ability to quickly learn new software for content creation and management
- Familiarity with Search Engine Optimization practices
- Experience with e-mail marketing services such as Mailchimp or iContact or other online communications applications and/or ability to obtain relevant skills preferred
- Video production and editing skills/experience a plus
- Foreign language proficiency a plus
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV and cover letter, writing sample and salary history to [email protected]; subject “COMMS-[YOURLASTNAME]”.
Include three writing samples with application and two examples of earned media placement. There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions should demonstrate an ability to write content of different types for various audiences. Succinct, simple, and engaging story-telling is required. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.