Applications are invited for three position as Research Associate at the CLIL Resources and Training Centre, Manipal University. This is a 12 months’ assignment co-funded by the Erasmus Program of the European Union.
Manipal University referred to as the ‘Nalanda of yore’ by the former President of India Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, has emerged as the preferred destination of young scholars from across the globe. Over the years, it has emerged as an epitome of quality teaching and research. It has attained its multidisciplinary strengths through various programs it offers. Presently, over 300 programs are offered through 22 constituent institutions and departments in health sciences, engineering, management, humanities and social sciences. It has a truly international campus with students from over 55 countries who make their presence felt, academically and culturally.
Situated in the south west coast of India, Manipal is a University town with a global outlook well knitted with its local culture. It stands tall in terms of the quality of infrastructure and academic strength as one of the best among private universities in India. Highlighting its global outlook, one visiting European scholar calls it, “an India for beginners”.
[email protected] Overview
[email protected] - Developing Content and Language Integrated Learning – Resourced and Training Centre for a Multilingual India - is co-financed by the European Commission under the action of the Erasmus+ program, Capacity Building for Higher Education. [email protected] is designed to spread CLIL methodology - directly and indirectly - in Indian secondary schooling, targeting Kannada, Marathi, Tamil, Punjabi, Hindi and English languages.
Multilingualism defines Indian cultural landscape and is recognized as both a strength and a challenge to deal with. In a country with over 325 languages and 25 scripts as listed by the Anthropological Survey of India, English remains an aspirational language creating a base for its economic success. However, the country is caught between learning this foreign language that heralds economic success and local languages that hold cultural richness, rootedness. The situation also divides the urban and rural India in terms of language proficiencies. Caught between these two extremities of having education in either only a local/regional language or completely in a foreign language leading to slow death of language, the country looks for a fair and balanced approach for the education system to respond.
Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) – a method adopted in Europe mainly to encourage bilingualism or multilingualism comes across as an ideal solution at this point. Therefore, a Consortium with HEIs in India and Europe proposed the project [email protected]
[email protected] plans the following actions:
1. Establish an international inter-institutional CLIL Resources and Training Centre at Manipal; 2. Establish satellite centres for CLIL at all participating HEIs in the project for spill-over effect; 3. Develop CLIL training materials in Hindi, Punjabi, Marathi, Kannada, Tamil and English; 4. Develop and continuously update the webportal CLILatIndia.in to provide open access to CLIL study materials in India; 5. To implement the first CLIL academic modules at the Indian partner HEIs; 6. To disseminate information about CLIL methodologies developing open intensive courses and events; 6. To develop an evidence-based white-paper based on the impact of CLIL on the linguistic skills of pupils attending secondary education in India.
The project involves prestigious European and Indian higher education institutions:
· Manipal University
· University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain,
· University of Milano, Italy,
· University of Latvia, Latvia,
· Symbiosis International University, Pune
· Pondicherry University, Pondicherry
· Chitkara University, Chandigarh
The associate partners Johannes Gutenberg Mainz University, (Germany), Italian University Line and Rosie Tanner Education Consultant will cooperate with the [email protected] consortium for the successful implementation of the project.
Research Associate - Minimal Requirements
· Post-Graduate in Education Science or Linguistic, or equivalent
· Ability to finalize tasks within deadlines
· Willingness to relocate in Manipal
· Motivated and with excellent communication skills
· English at native fluency level and knowledge of at least one the [email protected] target languages (Kannada, Marathi, Tamil, Punjabi, Hindi)
· Experience in work activities conducted in multicultural environment
· Flexibility in work duties
· Ability to combine individual and team work
· Fluent knowledge of multiple [email protected] target languages
· Prior research experience
· Working experiences related to CLIL, or to study of languages, or in the education sector
· Create innovative learning materials in the projects’ target languages
· Conduct field research on CLIL implementation in Indian secondary schools
· Responsible to implement the guidelines of the CLIL Resource and Training Centre Executive Director
· Organize and conduct events (vocational trainings, workshop, conferences)
· Ensure the productivity of the CLIL Resource and Training Centre at Manipal University, and its satellite centers at Chitkara University, Symbiosis International University and Pondicherry University
· Content manager for the website clilatindia.in
Please apply by sending an e-mail with your CV and motivation letter. Please use "Research Associate – [email protected]" in subject line.
Deadline for application: 30 April 2017
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*