Within delegated authority, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
- Organizes, designs, plans and carries out the collection, evaluation, analysis, compilation and dissemination of statistical data by selecting methods of data collection, selecting and implementing methods for checking collected data, and selecting and implementing appropriate methods for data processing for incorporation into databases;
- Participates in the development, implementation and management of statistical database(s);
- Contributes to the development or revision of standards on statistical concepts, definitions and classifications by performing methodological research;
- Participates in the ongoing implementation of, and the design of new, statistical capacity-strengthening initiatives in the region;
- Prepares draft technical documents for international, intergovernmental and expert group meetings and assists in drafting relevant reports;
- Organizes and participates as a technical resource person in seminars, working groups, expert meetings, training courses and country missions;
- Conducts analytical and methodological studies to assist member countries in assessing progress towards internationally agreed development goals;
- Contributes to the preparation of the analytical content, including storylines and tabular and graphical presentations of data, of ESCAP and inter-agency and publications, reports and studies;
- Guides, trains and supervises general service staff, consultants, interns;
- Performs other related and relevant duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and related statistical requirements. Knowledge of statistical principles and practices. Ability to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate options and make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics, economics, sociology or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of statistical data or related area is required;
- Experience with statistical standards, processes and frameworks related to the production, dissemination and quality assurance of economic and/or environment statistics is required;
- Experience with developing and implementing statistical capacity development programmes or projects is highly desirable;
- Experience in dealing with metadata and assessing the quality of statistics is desirable. Experience in information and communications technologies relevant to the collection, processing, dissemination or analysis of statistics is desirable. Experience with the use of statistical software packages for data management, analysis and presentation is desirable. Experience with international statistical standards and the functioning of the international statistical system is an advantage. Experience with the functioning of national statistical systems is an advantage.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required; knowledge of another official UN language, preferably Russian or Chinese is desirable.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*