The Programme Officer reports to the Natural Resources Officer, leading the NAP-Ag programme.
Provide technical support and advice on main issues related to the Agenda 2030 and UN reform, including in the context of implementing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement, international climate change negotiations; and building international collaboration and partnerships to enhance adaptation action.
Develop, implement, monitor and evaluate assigned programme/projects.
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, to include collecting, analysing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources;
- Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging development issues and trends, participation in impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
- Participates in survey initiatives; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyses and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions;
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.;
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget).
- Reviews FAO policies and strategies, especially speeches, speaking points and background documents of FAO's Technical Committees, MTP/PWB results and milestones;
- Contributes to the preparation of FAO Governing Body meetings and High Level Events;
- Contributes to Knowledge Management-related activities, overall coordination of Technical Networks, and follow up on Audit and Evaluation matters;
- Supports overall coordination of climate change within the 2030 Agenda, in particular FAO's participation in High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) meetings;
- In collaboration with relevant units, prepares briefs and reports to Senior Management on UN Reform matters, NAPs, climate change and agriculture;
- Liaises with partners, international bodies and partnerships on the topic of climate change adaptation in the agricultural sectors;
- Supports resource mobilization on climate change adaptation;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in political sciences, international relations, natural resources or related field;
- Three years of relevant experience in project or programme management, international cooperation, international administration or related area;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
- Results Focus;
- Building Effective Relationships;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation' related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and multi-disciplinary teams;
- Demonstrated ability to draft reports and briefs and proven ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org